Discover your family's story.

Enter a grandparent's name to get started.

Start Now

Roll of Company F, 22nd Battalion, Georgia Cavalry

Roll of Company F, 22nd Battalion, Georgia Cavalry (State Guards). Mustered into the Confederate service, August 6, 1863, at Hawkinsville, Georgia B. N. Mitchell, captain H. H. Whitfield, first lieutenant W. M. Oliver, second lieutenant L. H. Harrell, third lieutenant E. W. Coney, first sergeant A. C. McPhail, second sergeant R. F. DeLamar, third sergeant H. D. Hendley, fourth sergeant William Miller, fifth sergeant E. D. Fountain, first corporal; Robin Mercer, second corporal John McKinney, third corporal Moses T. Fort, fourth corporal J. B. Mitchell, bugler Privates J. H. Anderson Milton Bozeman G. W. Bowen J. Bowen G. W. Budd C. M. Bozeman, Jr. C. H. Colding C. E. Clark N. W. Collins James Chalker W. W. Culpepper W. A. Chancey D. C. Daniel S. M. Daniel M. W. Daniel R. G. Fulghum W. J. Fountain John Fale Thomas Grace Mather Grace I. B. Hamilton O. C. Horne J. W. Howell N. N. Howell Asa Howell W. L. Howell W. W. Howell A. G. Holt G. W. Jordan W. W. Jennings D. E. Kibbee D. S. Kellam William McKinney S. C. Nicholson J. C. Polhill R. M. Rose Nicholas Rawlings Daniel Rawls R. T. Reeves P. F. Scarborough R. C. Smith David Sapp D. L. Stewart T. M. Stewart James Sewell J. W. Simpson D. H. Tramil S. W. Taylor T. L. Taylor J. W. Trawick E. M. Wood E. F. Way W. M. White C. M. W. Wynne J. D....

Election for officers to command Cavalry Company

Election for officers to command Cavalry Company At an election held in Hawkinsville, Pulaski County, on Monday, the 30th May 1836, for a Captain and other Commissioned and non Commissioned to command a Volunteer Cavalry Company of said County, the following persons (members of said Company) came forward and voted: Soloman Micheal C. Y. Gavaze Ezekiel Taylor B. W. Bracewell J. N. Phillips J. J. Taylor Robert R. Germany G. W. Collins Joseph J. Bracewell James M. Bracewell W. J. Whitfield James 0. Jelks James Boldwic Eldredge Count P. Fleming A. J. Collier John J. Wood James P. Cherry E. Odum B. M. Thompson W. O. Mc Josept Thigpen W. W. Mayo John Collson W. G. Fleming Millet Swift James J. Callwell Andrew Bayty E. W. Coley Marion Sutton William Mills Theophilus Sutton Amos Pipking James H. Burkhalter John G. Rawls Jesse B. Took John Graham Alm Martin A. C. Bostwick Alfred C. Bostwick, Captain William S. Whitfield, 1st Lieut. James M. Bracewell, 2nd Lieut. E. A. Birch James 0. Jelks Robert M. Thompson We do hereby certify that we presided at the above election for officers to command a volunteer company of cavalry of said county and that the four first named persons were duly elected as more fully appears from the above statement. May 30,...

Biography of Dr. Nathaniel Polhill Jelks

Dr. Nathaniel Polhill Jelks, fourth son of James Oliver Jelks and Mary Polhill, was born July 18, 1845, in Hawkinsville, Pulaski County, Georgia, where he died March 28, 1911. When six years old his family moved to Oglethorpe, Georgia, after two years moving to Hamilton County, Florida, where he received his early education, later studying in Augusta, Georgia. In 1863 he entered the Confederate Army, enlisting in Company I, Second Florida Cavalry, under General Jones, a gallant command guarding the interior of the State. He was wounded at the Battle of Natural Bridge, Florida, March 6, 1865, in which the enemy was defeated. After the Confederates laid down their arms, he surrendered with his command at Baldwin, Fla. When peace came again to the land, he entered upon the study of medicine, and was graduated at Bellevue Hospital Medical College, New York, in 1868. He immediately began the practice of medicine in Hawkinsville, Ga. In this profession he gained distinction and success, was a member of the Georgia Medical Association, and at one time president of the South Georgia Medical Association. As a physician he was devoted to his profession, and no one ever lived up to its high code of ethics more closely than he, not swerving from them in the remotest degree. In addition to his profession he was for many years connected with the drug business, and was one of the leading planters of the county. He was active in civic matters, serving his people whenever and wherever he could. He was one of the earliest members of the board of education that established our present system...

History of First Methodist Episcopal Church South, Pulaski County, Georgia

The Methodist Church is, likewise, identified with the earliest history of Pulaski County. It was in November of 1805 that Henry Dearborn, Secretary of War, negotiated a treaty between the Indians and the Federal Government for lands between the Oconee and Ocmulgee Rivers. On December 15, 1808, the Georgia legislature passed an act creating Pulaski County from a part of this territory. And in January of 1809 the South Carolina Annual Conference, which embraced all of Georgia at that time, created the “Oakmulgie Circuit.” This circuit embraced Pulaski County. Within one month after the county was created and two years before Hartford was incorporated, the Methodist circuit rider was preaching in Pulaski. Preaching was done at cross-roads and homes of village and country folk. However, in 1819, the Methodists erected a church building several miles from Hartford, up the Milledgeville road. This Methodist Church building in Pulaski was located in the corners of lots of land numbers 249, 261, and 262 of the 21st District. The land upon which the church building stood was conveyed by warranty deed, July 22. 1819, to Messrs. John Carruthers, R. W. M. Wynne, and William McCormack, trustees (office clerk of court of Pulaski, Book G, pp. 1, 2, 3). The congregation located their building at a strategic point for those distant days and drew its members from the red lands as well as from Hartford and the wiregrass section of Pulaski. This congregation, with a strong membership for those times, and a church building as well, operated effectually, though so near a Methodist Church in Hartford. This church and the one at Longstreet...

Hawkinsville Georgia High School History

The Hawkinsville High School through the years has been outstanding. During the last half century seventy-five per cent of its graduates have enrolled in the different colleges and have generally taken good stands, the school for years ranking ninth in the State. None of this excellent record could have been possible without a uniformly splendid teaching force. Prof. T. A. Clower, a man of eighteen years successful experience, succeeded Professor Harris. From 1926 to 1935 the Hawkinsville public schools have made some progress despite the depression. Many books and magazines of value have been added to the library, and a half-time librarian is employed. In athletics, the teams representing the school have acquitted themselves well. In 1928 there was a championship football team, and a girls’ basketball team that placed second in the district; in 1929 a championship track team; in 1931 a boy’s basketball team that placed second in the district; in 1932 a boy’s basketball team that won the championship of the eastern section and was considered second in-the district, and a championship baseball team; in 1933 a championship doubles tennis team and golf team; in 1934 a championship singles tennis team and golf team and a doubles tennis team that was second in the district; all these have contributed to the athletic prestige of the school. In literary events the school has done well in debating, music, reading, declamation, one-act plays, essay and home economics contests. In 1932 the school representative won the district music contest and placed third in the State...

Old Schools Of Hawkinsville Georgia

The first schoolhouse in Hawkinsville was built in the block that is bounded by Jackson, Broad, Commerce, and Lumpkin Streets. It was a little nearer Jackson Street, almost behind what is now the Ford station. One feature of the teaching of this school was that the pupils studied aloud. The patrons decided that this school was too near the business section, so a new schoolhouse was built beyond E. J. Henry’s place on the road to what was then called “the Polhill Place.” Afterwards the Tomlin place. This building was burned. At this time, Uncle Jimmy Williamson, as he was familiarly called, was the teacher. A big boy gave the signal. The pupils were very much frightened, and began to rush out. “Get your buiks; get your buiks!” Uncle Jimmy instructed. This simple little ruse quieted the pupils and each one came out with his or her books, quite unhurt. The next schoolhouse was on the White place, where the Watson home stood afterwards. Then they built the academy on the lot where Mrs. D. T. Mashburn now lives. Some of the teachers who taught in this building were: John Brantley Mr. Rockwell R. H. Brown Mr. Moseley G. R. McCall Mr. Proctor J. H. Martin, who made his home here and was well known. M. N. McCall Mr. Harvard M. T. Hodge R. C. Sanders also taught in the academy before the city decided to have a public school. R. 0. Pate says that a Mr. McDonald once taught in the old Methodist Church which was on the lot where the Batts home now stands. Another resident says...

Slave Narrative of Alice Battle

Interviewer: Elizabeth Watson Person Interviewed: Alice Battle Date of Interview: 1936 Location: Hawkinsville, Georgia During the 1840’s, Emanuel Caldwell—born in North Carolina, and Neal Anne Caldwell—born in South Carolina, were brought to Macon by “speculators” and sold to Mr. Ed Marshal of Bibb County. Some time thereafter, this couple married on Mr. Marshal’s plantation, and their second child, born about 1850, was Alice Battle. From her birth until freedom, Alice was a chattel of this Mr. Marshal, whom she refers to as a humane man, though inclined to use the whip when occasion demanded. Followed to its conclusion, Alice’s life history is void of thrills and simply an average ex-slave’s story. As a slave, she was well fed, well clothed, and well treated, as were her brother and sister slaves. Her mother was a weaver, her father—a field hand, and she did both housework and plantation labor. Alice saw the Yankee pass her ex-master’s home with their famous prisoner, Jeff Davis, after his capture, in ’65. The Yankee band, says she, was playing “We’ll hang Jeff Davis on a Sour Apple Tree”. Some of the soldiers “took time out” to rob the Marshal smokehouse. The Whites and Negroes were all badly frightened, but the “damyankees didn’t harm nobody”. After freedom, Alice remained with the Marshals until Christmas, when she moved away. Later, she and her family moved back to the Marshal plantation for a few years. A few years still later, Alice married a Battle “Nigger”. Since the early ’70’s, Alice has “drifted around” quite a bit. She and her husband are now too old and feeble to work....

Slave Narrative of Martha Everette

Interviewer: Elizabeth Watson Person Interviewed: Martha Everette Location: Hawkinsville, Georgia Age: 88 Born in Pulaski County about 1848, the daughter of Isaac and Amanda Lathrop, Martha Everette has lived all her life near where she was born. Prior to freedom, her first job was “toting in wood”, from which she was soon “promoted” to waiting on the table, house cleaning, etc. She make no claims to have ever “graduated” as a cook, as so many old before-the-war Negresses do. “Aunt” Martha’s owner was a kind man: he never whipped the slaves, but the overseer “burnt ’em up sometimes.” And her mother was a “whipper, too”—a woman that “fanned” her children religiously, so to speak, not overlooking Martha. All the Watson slaves attended the (White) Baptist church at Blue Springs. Rations were distributed on Sunday morning of each week, and the slaves had plenty to eat. The slaves were also allowed to fish, thus often adding variety to their regular fare. Negro women were taught to sew by the overseers’ wives, and most of the slaves’ clothes were made from cloth woven on the plantation. The Yankees visited the Lathrop plantation in ’65, asked for food, received it, and marched on without molesting anything or any body. Truly, these were well-behaved Yankees! “Aunt” Martha says that she remembers quite well when the Yankees captured Jefferson Davis. She and other slave children were in the “big house” yard when they heard drums beating, and soon saw the Yankees pass with Mr. Davis. “Aunt” Martha, now old and decrepit, lives with one of her sons, who takes care of her. This son...

Pin It on Pinterest