War was declared against France by Queen Anne, of England, in May, 1702, and, of course, the contest was renewed in America. Villebon, the governor of Canada, immediately began to encroach upon the northern frontier of the British colonies, and to instigate the Indians to commence their destructive ravages. Dudley, the governor of Massachusetts, visited
Fred Moulton, a leading resident of Plainfield and the proprietor of a large grocery store at Lebanon, was born July 11, 1836, in Plainfield, son of Stephen R. and Sally (Noyes) Moulton. The Moultons have had representatives in Plainfield for four generations, men who have been prominent in the development of the town and closely
Henry Harrison Edwards, a watchmaker of acknowledged ability, who is now residing in Allenstown, was born in Laconia, N.H., July 28, 1840, son of Nathaniel and Rachel (Ranlett) Edwards. His grandfather, Ebenezer Edwards, who in his earlier years followed the sea, subsequently learned the hatter’s trade, and followed it in Laconia for many years. Another
Augustus Barnard, formerly of Hopkinton, was one of the brave men who fought for the Union in the Civil War. Born in Haverhill, Mass., he was reared and educated in New York State. After spending a part of his early life in Boston, he came to Hopkinton, where he learned the currier’s trade of Jonathan
George H. Adams, of Hill, the senior proprietor of the Hill Needle Factory, was born at Haverhill, Mass., son of the late Harrison Adams, the founder of the needle industry in this place. The first of the Adams family in this country was Enoch Adams, the great-grandfather of George H. He came to America from
E112 JAMES DAVIS: B. about 1584. He came to New England as early as 1634 and was one of the original settlers of Hampton, 1638. Removed to Haverhill, 1646, being one of the twelve who petitioned the General Court for authority to settle at Pentucket where they founded the present city of Haverhill, Mass. His
Osgood McFarland, a son of Major Moses McFarland, of the revolutionary war, a Scotch-Irish immigrant, together with his wife, Mary Bartlett, came to town from Haverhill, Mass., in 1809. A few years afterwards he removed to Marietta, Ohio. He remained there seven years, when, on account of his health, he returned to Vermont, driving his
Nathaniel P. Sawyer, from Haverhill, Mass., came to this town in 1790, and located at Hyde Park village, where he built the first frame house, which is still standing, at the east end of Main street, owned by James M. Hill.