Discover your family's story.

Enter a grandparent's name to get started.

Start Now

Hamlet of Pottersville, New Hampshire

POTTERSVILLE (p. o.) is a hamlet located in the southwestern part of the town, its name being derived from the extensive potteries that once thrived here. Clay of an excellent quality, is found here, and the business was commenced by David Thurston, in 1795. Jonathan Flood Southwick, from Danvers, Mass., purchased Mr. Thurston’s shop, and continued the business till his death, when it passed into the hands of Jedediah K. Southwick. The non-intercourse and embargo acts, and the war with England, gave such an impulse to the manufacture of this kind of ware, that some eight or ten shops were built in the vicinity. From the close of the war, in 1815, however, the business began to decline, and finally became one of the things of the past. The name of the first workman in the village was Felton, who came from Danvers,...

Biographical Sketch of Lewis Harris Kittredge

Kittredge, Lewis Harris; automobile business; born, Harrisville, N. H., June 18, 1871; son of Samuel Grant and Harriet Louise Harris Kittredge; educated, Keene, N. H., High School, New Hampshire State College, degree of B. S.; 1896-1897, with New York Belting & Packing Co., Passaic, N. J.; 1897 to present time with The Peerless Motor Car Co. of Ohio, pres. since 1906, same office for the company in New York and New England; director The Peerlees Motor Car Co. of Ohio; pres. since 1906, same office for the Company in New York and New England; director the Peerless Motor Car Co. of Illinois; director The Central National Bank, Cleveland; member executive committee National Association of Auto Manufacturers; director automobile committee, Chamber of Commerce; director Association Patents Co.; vice pres. and administrative council member, National Metal Trades Ass’n; chairman fiscal trustee, The Maternity Hospital; member finance committee, Associated Charities; member federation board The Cleveland Federation for Charity and Philanthropy; member Cleveland Automobile, Union, Euclid, Clifton, Mayfield, and Athletic Clubs, and Zeta Epsilon Zeta...

Harrisville, Cheshire County, New Hampshire History

Harrisville lies in the extreme eastern part of the county, in lat. 42º 57′ and long. 4º 59′, bounded north by Nelson and Hancock, the latter in Hillsborough county, east by Hancock and Peterboro, south by Dublin and west by Roxbury and a portion of Marlboro. This is the youngest township in the county, having been incorporated as late as July 2, 1870, its area being made up of territory taken from the southern part of Nelson and northern part of Dublin. The extreme length of the town, east and west, is nearly eight miles, and its greatest width, north and south, from two and a half to three miles, comprising an area of about 10,000 acres, which, to be accurate, is enclosed as follows: Beginning at a stone post, where the present north line of Dublin intersects with the western line of Peterboro, thence extending north 77½º west 2,525 rods, or following the north line of Dublin, to the line of Marlboro; thence northerly on the line of Marlboro and Roxbury to the southwest corner of Nelson, near the head of Woodward pond; thence in a general easterly course, with an offset north 160 rods on the east shore of Breed pond, about 1,784 rods, to the line of Hancock; and thence south 12º 30′ south 480 rods, thence south 79º east 879 rods, thence south 287 rods to the place of beginning. This history entails tax records, sketches of early industry, churches, military, and benevolent societies, as well as biographies, genealogies, and sketches of the following early settlers. History of Harrisville, New Hampshire General History of Harrisville,...

Pin It on Pinterest