These 91 biographies and sketches have been taken from the manuscript “An Illustrated History of Baker, Grant, Malheur and Harney Counties Oregon.” Presently this is an incomplete offering so subscribe to this page if you’re interested on further updates. We will eventually provide the entire manuscript here.
The Grant County Oregon genealogy and history has been derived from different sources and combined here to provide a convenient way for you to access the data.
Geo. W. Hayes stands high among the voting attorneys Eastern Oregon, and has established a foothold in Harney County from which it would be difficult to eradicate possessing as he does talent, energy, ambition and industry. He was born In Marion County, Iowa in 1859, coming across the plains with his parents in 1862, in
H. M. Horton, the leading druggist of Burns, came to Grant County in 1885, locating in Diamond Valley, where he followed his profession of dentistry. In 1891 he started in the drug business, and has gradually forged to the front until today he has the largest store in Eastern Oregon off the railroad. It is
Hon. Chas. P. Rutherford, County Judge of Harney County. Is essentially a self-made man. Left an orphan at an early age, his education was that of the tallow dip and district school. At the age of sixteen he began ruining through Idaho and Oregon, also packing from Umatilla landing to Boise Basin. In 1873 he
The above firm composed of W. H. Johnson and Clarence and C. P. Johnson, have done perhaps as much towards developing the resources of Grant County as any of her citizens. They are all men of sterling character and more than ordinary business ability. They settled in the Big Basin on the John Day River
The establishment of the above gentlemen, dealers in general merchandise, is a credit to Canyon City. Selling their goods at as close it margin its possible, believing in making small profits and having their customers well satisfied, they have an enviable reputation for fair and honest dealing. W. R. Cunnington, the senior member of the
The Humboldt Mining Company, who control our of the largest and best hydraulic properties in this section, was organized in 1881 by Horose Sloan, Ira Sproul, Herbert Hunter, Fred Frey, Harry Heppner and Fred Yorgenson, to work 320 acres lying adjacent to Canyon City. The properly had been worked by the drifting process since 1862,
Four miles southeasterly of Granite, on Clear Creek, is located the Red Boy, the property of Messrs. Godfrey & Tabor. It came into their possession about four years ago, and hardly any work was done on it up to that time; In fact, there was only a 180 foot tunnel which cut the property about
Niven & Ditmars, of Granite, is it large mercantile firm who not only supply the family trade, but also meet the wants of miners and mining companies in the line of lumber, tools, steel, powder and till kinds of mining supplies. Their store, which we show by an accompanying illustration, has a frontage of 44