David E. Ballard is living retired at Washington, Kansas, at the age of eighty-one. Most of his active contemporaries in the strenuous achievements of his earlier years have long since passed away. Mr. Ballard is one of the few survivors of the prominent Kansans who actually laid the foundation of the state. His name is
HON. WILLIAM STRONG. – There is no name more thoroughly associated with Oregon and Washington judicature than that of William Strong. His marked characteristics are indelibly impressed upon the system of law of both states, especially that of the latter. To long and distinguished service as associate justice of the supreme court, and in the
HON. JOHN KELLY. – Prominent in almost every department of business and public life, Honorable John Kelly is known throughout the length and breadth of our state as a man of great abilities and irreproachable integrity. As a pioneer, none has a more deserving record, nor has sustained amore honorable part. Born in Dublin, Ireland,
Theophilus Potter came from Bakersfield, in 1815, and located in the western part, where he followed the carpenter and joiner trade. Six of his twelve children are now living.
Timothy Terrill, from Fletcher, Vt., came to Morristown in the autumn of 1817, resided here until 1828, when he removed to Underhill, where he died, about 1833. Moses, son of Timothy, born May 9, 1799, came here with his father and located upon the farm now owned by his son, N. A. Terrill, on road
Waite, Horace, of Hyde Park, son of Smith H. and Lucinda (Goodenough) Waite, was born in Fairfield, May 16, 1826. His education was obtained in the common schools of Sheldon and at Bakersfield Academy. Left an orphan at the age of five he found a home with Asa Grant with whom he remained till he
Charles B. Weston was born in Franklin county, in 1805, and came to Belvidere in 1852, since which time he has been a resident of the town. He represented his townsmen in the legislature of 1874, and has held most of the other town offices.
Amos K. Whittemore, from Litchfield, N. H., located in Eden in 1802, and from there removed to this town, in 1835, and subsequently took up his residence in Bakersfield, where he died, in 1871, aged eighty-nine years. He reared a family of fourteen children, two of whom, Lewis and Robert D., now reside in the
John Wires came to this town, from Leicester, Mass., about the year 1790. In 1797, he married Miss Anna Walbridge, and shortly after purchased a farm on road 32, now owned by his son, Harlow, and where he spent the remainder of his life. He was for many years known as Gen. John Wires, having
Joel Putnam, the second child of Luther Putnam, an early settler in Fletcher, Franklin county, was born in 1814, and came to Cambridge in 1856, locating upon the farm he now occupies.