D.C. Cook, M.D., of the firm of L.A. Chapman & Co., druggists, was born in N.Y. in May, 1850. He received preparatory education at Mt. Vernon, Ia., and graduated from the State University at Iowa City in March, 1873. He commenced the practice of medicine at Calamus. In Aug., 2881, he moved to Fletcher and
W.H. Ball, of the firm of W.H. Ball & Co., dealers in grain and seed, was born in Cedar County, Ia., in 1853. He was engaged in the grain business at Centerdale, Clinton County, for nine years. In 1880 came to Fletcher and was the first to locate business there.
W.A. Robinson, postmaster and hardware merchant, was born in Vt. in 1815. He moved to Stockbridge, Mass., when quite young; in 1856 moved to Mercer county, m., and engaged in farming until 1869; then moved to Sac County, purchased land in Viola township, which he improved and still owns. He moved to Fletcher in Jan.,
J.O. Rich, proprietor of the livery, feed and sale stables, was formerly of Independence, Ia., where he was engaged as mason and plasterer for four years. In 1878 he moved to Sac County, purchased land in Wall Lake township, which he still owns. In Feb., 1882, he moved to Fletcher and erected a livery barn
Charles Potts, farmer and land agent, was born in Ross county, O., in 1832. He served during the war of the rebellion in the 28th Ill. Vol. Inft. was wounded at Jackson, Miss. He came to Sac County in 1871 and purchased land on the north shore of Wall Lake. He owns one hundred acres
C.P. Hicks, of the firm of W.H. Ball & Co., was born in Philadelphia, Pa., in Oct., 1848. He graduated at the Bryant & Straton College and was for several years in the employ of a commission house in Philadelphia, as bookkeeper and entry clerk. He moved to Cedar County, Ia., in 1874; thence to
Rev. William N. McKendrick, undertaker and dealer in furniture was born in Edinburg, Scotland, in 1832; came to America with parents and located in N.Y. In 1847 he moved to Western N.Y. He attended the Baptist College, of Montreal, Canada, for three years, and entered the University in 1859. He was ordained in Michigan, Sept.
J.C. Fletcher, founder of the town of Fletcher, was born in Franklin, Ind., in 1849; the same year moved with parents to Oskaloosa, Ia. He enlisted in 1864 in the 47th Ia. Inft., and served until the close of the war. He returned to Oskaloosa and in 1873 moved to Sheffield where he engaged in
Albert Davis, station agent and proprietor of Lake House, came to Sac County in March 1877, from Clinton County, Ia. He purchased land in Wall Lake township. At the time of the tornado of April 21 of the same year, he was living in a portion of his barn, which was entirely destroyed together with