Abijah Richardson, who was born in this town, moved to Royalston, Mass., where he died in 1840. His son, Leander, born in Royalston, Mass., came here in 1860, has been deputy sheriff three years and is now a policeman.
John E. Fisher was born near St. Johns, N. B., in 1525, on Darling’s Island, which was the property of his grandfather, Captain Darling. His father, Richard, was a blacksmith, and removed to Boston about 1825, and ten years later moved to Quincey, Mass. He was one of the first four abolitionists in the town.
Phinehas Reed, a soldier of the Revolution, came to Fitzwilliam, from Westford, Mass., in 1784, built a tannery and conducted the business. His son Charles followed the same trade, and employed a large force of men in the manufacture of shoes, which were sold in the South. About 1838, he met financial reverses, and had
Isaac Davis, a native of Royalston, Vt., and brought up at Princeton, Mass., came here March 11, 1839. He is a blacksmith by trade, and, in 1877, invented the compound force cartridge, which he patented the same year. It is intended for shooting long distances, and the principal has been acted upon for heavy ordinances
During the late war Fitzwilliam furnished 168 men for the service, 162 of whom were volunteers or substitutes for enrolled men not drafted. Of the thirty drafted men, twenty-two were excused for disability, one emigrated to Canada, one was excused as alien, four served, and two furnished substitutes, Of the total number furnished, forty-four were
Silas Morse came here from Holliston, Mass., with his parents, who settled on a farm near where Samuel Payne now lives, over a hundred years ago. After the death of his father he traded the farm owned by him for one in Sullivan, which he afterwards sold, and moved with his son, Ira L., to
Oren Brooks, a native of Putney. Vt., moved with his parents to Massachussets while he was a child. He married Julia A. Wright, of Boston, who bore him twelve children. He moved to this town in 1848, where his two youngest were born, and died here in 1876, surviving his wife sixteen years. Two sons,
General James Reed was the only one of the proprietors of Fitzwilliam, named in the charter of 1773, who located here. He organized three com. panies for the Revolutionary war, and was one of the three colonels from New Hampshire, who fought at Bunker Hill. He continued with the army until he was afflicted with
Timothy Ellis was born in that part of Keene which is now Roxbury, about 130 years ago, upon the place where William Ellis now lives. Samuel son of Timothy. was born there, where he lived until he was about thirty years of age. He then moved to Stockbridge, Vt., where he remained four years, and
David Forristall was born in Holliston, Mass., in 1780, and came to this town with his father when a child. His father, one of the early settlers, came first, cleared some land, and built a log house, and then moved his two children, Daniel and Jessie, here. His son, Thomas, was born here, and still