Fitzwilliam Savings bank, located in the Postoffice block, at Fitzwilliam village, was incorporated in 1871, and commenced business in 1872, with Philip S. Batchellor, president, and Milton Chaplin, treasurer. The present officers are Amos J. Blake, president, and Stephen Batchellor, treasurer. George D. Webb Granite Co.’s quarry and shops are located at the crossing of
The name of the grantees of 1765 were as follows: Sampson Stoddard, Nathaniel Treadwell, Thomas Spaulding, Benjamin Edwards, Jacob Treadwell, Jr., Matthew Thornton, Nathaniel Brooks, David Millen, Jonathan Lovewell, John Honey, John Stevens, John Woods, William Earl Treadwell Paul March, Charles Treadwell, Edmund Grouard, Jonathan Blanchard, Sampson Stoddard, Jr., Abel Lawrence, James Reed, Benjamin Bellows,
John Shirley, a soldier of the Revolution, was born on board ship coming from England, and was brought up in Boston. He came to Fitzwilliam about 1780, settling in the village, and married Submit Bogle, of Sudbury, Mass. He reared a family of nine children, and died at the age of ninety-three, in the house
FITZWILLIAM, one of the southern tier of townships in the county, lies in lat. 42° 45 and long. 4° 54′, bounded north by Troy and Jaffrey, east by Jaffrey and Rindge, south by the state line, and west by Richmond. The town was originally granted by the Masonion proprietors, as Monadnock No. 4, January 15,
FITZWILLIAM is a pleasant post village located in the northern-central part of the town, on six main roads. Besides the usual mechanic shops, and stores, it has a savings bank, three church organizations, town hall, two hotels, and several granite shops and quarries.
Silas Fife came to Troy from Bolton. Mass., and settled in the eastern part of the town. He was a farmer, had a family of ten children, and died there in 1834. His son, Timothy, a native of Troy, remained there until his death, December 12, 1872, in his eightieth year. Daniel J., son of
FITZWILLIAM DEPOT, a post village located in the central part of the town,, on the Cheshire railroad, contains one church, a few mechanic shops, stores, etc.
HOWEVILLE is a hamlet in the southern part of the town at the foot of South Pond.
BOWKERVILLE is a small village located in the southern part of the town.
Ezra Hayden, a native of Sudbury, Mass., came here about 1804 or 1805. locating upon the farm where Ethan Blodgett now lives. He removed to the place now owned by Eli Smith, where he died in 1843, at the age of fiftyeight years. His son, Otis, was born here where he has lived most of