(Loc. seven miles north of Windom, Texas, on the land survey granted to Elizabeth Pettigrew by the Republic of Texas.) PETTIGREW J. H., b. 3 Nov. 1818, d. 16 July 1887. Prudence E., b. 10 Oct. 1824, d. 19 May 1889. Wife of J. H. H. M., b. 10 Sept. 1810, d. 15 Aug. 1841.
(Loc: 7 miles north of Windom, Texas) HUMBLE Henry, b. 1810, d. 25 Dec. 1893. Born in CA. Jane, b. 1815, d. 21 Dec. 1893. Born in CA. Wife of Henry. Child, no dates. —?—–, child, unmarked, no dates.
(Loc. 3 miles northwest of Windom) LEE John, b. 23 Apr. 1757, d. 22 Mar. 1855. John, b. 23 Apr. 1797, d. 22 Mar. 1854. John F., b. 2 June 1876, d. 4 Nov. 1879. Son of H.C. & N.A. Nancy A., 1841 – 1879. Wife of H.C. James A., b. 26 Apr. 1827, d.
A family named Young first owned this farm near the southwest corner of Dial where this graveyard is located. One of the Young daughters married a Browles and they continued to live on this farm so this burying plot was known as the Browles graveyard. Mrs. Marcus E. Jackson, who was buried here in 1925,
(Loc. six and ½ miles north of Windom) ASHFORD E. R., b. 24 Aug. 1833, d. 25 Sept. 1870. Philip Franklin, b. 1 May 1868, d. 8 May 1868. Son of E.R. & Mary. Mary, no dates. (stone broken) SMITH Philip, b. 17 Mar. 1796, d. 30 Dec. 1845. Ann, b. 16 May 1803, d.
After the death of William Cravens in Christian County, Kentucky (1845), Mary (McCombs) Cravens, his wife, Gershom C., their son, their slaves, and a party of friends started from Kentucky to Texas in 1845. Gershom left behind his sweetheart, Zerelda Darnell; their parents thought they were too young for marriage at nineteen and sixteen. The
This family graveyard was on the Joe Goss farm in the northeast of county but was completely destroyed by 1960. No records of burials.
Thomas C. Cobb and Rev. Vannoy came to Texas in 1850 from Campbell County, Tennessee. They married two sisters named Wheeler. The girls’ brother, Samuel Wheeler, was the father of Peyton Wheeler whose mother, Nancy J. Wheeler, came to Texas with her brothers-in-law, Cobb and Vannoy. Rev. Vannoy was a Presbyterian preacher and pastured the
Graveyard Hill is on land once owned by the Jackson family. Mr. and Mrs. Jackson’s graves are supposed to be there but were not located because on the underbrush. There are several other graves with slabs of wood but no legible names or dates. All that was found is as follows: CLARK J. C., 1820
Slaves of Mary E. Cravens, brought to Texas from Christian County, Ky, in 1845. Most of these were buried in the cemetery on land owned by Gershom Cravens and his mother, Mary E. Cravens. This plot of land chosen for the slaves’ cemetery was on the west side of the road, west of the Cravens’