David Cook, from Barre, Vt., came to Elmore about the year 1822, and located on road 12, upon the farm now occupied by Leonard Grimes, where he cut the first timber on that property. Mr. Cook married Betsey Conant, reared a family of ten children, served his townsmen in various offices, and died in 1878.
Abel Camp was born in Orange, Vt., April 15, 1801, and came to Elmore when twenty-one years of age, and located upon the farm he still occupies, Mr. Camp has held most of the town offices, was a representative in 1858, ’59, and ’60, and at the extra session held in April, 1861, was postmaster
Seth Town came to Elmore, from Barre, Vt., in 1823, and located near road 10, upon the farm now owned by Luther Ward. He resided here until about 1840, when he removed to the farm owned by C. S. Parker, on road 16. He served his townsmen in several official capacities, and died March 23,
Samuel Bryant, from Woodstock, Vt., came to Emore in 1824, and settled upon the farm owned by Benjamin Davis, on road 19. Here he resided for a few years, then removed to Morristown, where he cleared up the farm now the property of Alfred Dodge. In 1845, he returned to Elmore, remained here five years,
Benjamin F. Morse was born in Barre, Vt., in 1828, and came to Elmore from Plainfield, Vt., in 1852, and located upon the farm he now occupies, on road 28. His house, erected in 1853, was the second frame house built in the eastern part of the town. Mr. Morse has been married three times,
Dr. Joel G. Camp came to Elmore from Craftsbury, Vt., about the year 1825. He was a very energetic man, and soon built up a large practice, which he enjoyed until his death, in 1872. Mr. Camp was the only settled physician the town ever had, and was nearly eighty-four years of age when he
Edwin Hill, from East Montpelier, came to Elmore in 1826, and located upon the farm now owned by his son, R. G. Hill, on road 23. He resided here until his death, in 1874. His widow is still living, aged eighty-two years. Two of their three children are living, R. G. and J. T.
Stephen B. Hatch, from Hartland, Vt., came to Elmore in 1826, and located in the western part of the town, where he has since resided. He married Anna Cobb, and has reared a family of thirteen children, six of whom are living.
Harvey Merritt came to this town from Montpelier about the year 1840, and located upon the farm now owned by his son, Francis L., on road 7. He married Abigail LeBarran, reared three sons and one daughter, three of whom are now living. His death occurred in June, 1876, aged seventy-four years. His wife died
V. N. Bacon came to Elmore from Williamstown, Vt., in 1850, and located upon “Mt. Lookout farm,” on the west side of Elmore pond, in 1850, where he resided until his death, in 1874. His son, Oliver D., now resides on the farm, where, in 1878, he established Camp Bacon, a resort for campers and