Discover your family's story.

Enter a grandparent's name to get started.

Start Now

Biography of Newton W. Amos, M. D.

Dr. Newton W. Amos, a physician of St. Louis, was born at Cape Girardeau, Missouri, January 26, 1867. His father, Adam Amos, was a native of Alsace Lorraine and came to America in 1856, making his way direct to Cape Girardeau county, Missouri, where he built the first blacksmith shop of the place. There he resided until 1871 when he removed to Smithville, Bollinger county, and in 1873 he removed to Poplar Bluff, Missouri, where afterward he established his home in Allenville, Cape Girardeau county, Missouri, his death there occurring in 1875. During the Civil war he was a member of the Cape Girardeau Home Guard. He married Anna Litzelfelner, a native of Austria, who came to America with her parents at the age of six years, the family settling in Cape Girardeau county, where Mrs. Amos was reared and educated. By her marriage she became the mother of three sons, of whom the youngest, Benjamin, is now deceased, while Robert, the eldest, is a resident of Allenville. Dr. Amos, the second in order of birth, was educated in the district schools of Cape Girardeau county before attending the Southeast Normal at Cape Girardeau, after which he won a teacher’s certificate and entered upon educational work. He taught in Cape Girardeau county for seven terms, but regarded this merely as an initial step to other professional labor and at the end of that time took up the study of medicine in the St. Louis Medical College, from which he was graduated with the M. D. degree in April, 1897. Following the completion of his course he had charge of...

Biography of Charles Percival Whitbread

Charles Percival Whitbread, president of the General Underwriters Company of St. Louis, was born in Edwardsville, Illinois, March 18, 1877, and is a son of James and Minnie Elizabeth (Rinne) Whitbread. The ancestry is traced back through several generations in England, where the records of the family include the following under title “Whitbread of Southill.” “Whitbread, William-Henry, Esq., of Southill, County of Bedford, born January 4, 1795; high-sheriff in 1837, and member of parliament for Bedford in the parliaments of 1818, 1820, 1826, 1830, 1831 and 1832. The Whitbreads are said by family tradition, as appears on an Inscription on a monument In Cardington church, to have been of great antiquity in the county of Bedford. Arms-Arg. on a chev. between three Hinds heads erased gu-. Crest-A Hinds head erased gu-. Motto-Virtue non Astutia. Translation-By Bravery, not Stratagem.” James Whitbread, father of Charles P. Whitbread, was born in London and when, but four years of age was brought to the new world, the family settling in Quincy, Illinois. He afterward removed to Venice, Illinois, where in association with his father be established what is now known as the National Stock Yards Company. He married Minnie Elizabeth Rinne, who was born in Stadt Hagen, Germany, and was brought to the United States when a little maiden of four summers, the family settling in Liberty Prairie, near Edwardsville, Illinois. Mrs. Whitbread is still living at the age of seventy eight years, but the father passed away March 17, 1920. Charles P. Whitbread obtained his early education in the public schools of his native city, completing the high school course in 1891....

Biography of Isaac Negus

Isaac Negus, deceased, who, during his lifetime, was one of the leading business men in Rock Island, was a man whose be-lief in the future of the city he had chosen for his home took the substantial form of building enterprise. He was born December 31, 1799, at Labions, Ondaga County, New York, where he received a common school education. After leaving school he found employment in the construction department of the Erie Canal in New York State, where he remained for three years. The experience and practical knowledge gained during those three years was a great service to him later, when he, with his partner, Mr. James Sanger, took a $150,000 contract for a part of the construction of the Illinois and Michigan Canal, the scene of their operations being Chicago. Mr. Negus removed from New York State in 1829, locating in Edwardsville, Madison County, Illinois, where for three years he was engaged in the mercantile business. From thence he moved to Chicago and later went to Galena, Illinois, where he was again en-gaged in mercantile lines until he came to Rock Island on October 8, 1844. Here he again took up mercantile life and made an enviable record in his business career. He was also a member of the banking firm of Osborn, Negus & Company known as the Rock Island Bank, the firm at that time operating the principal bank in the city. He was also one of the owners of the first street car system between the cities of Rock Island and Moline. In those early days electricity had not supplanted the horse as a...

Pin It on Pinterest