Discover your family's story.

Enter a grandparent's name to get started.

Start Now

Descendants of Francis Brayton of Fall River, MA

BRAYTON. The first in America by this name, one Francis Brayton, came from England to Portsmouth, Rhode Island, where, in 1643, he was received as an inhabitant, in 1655, became a freeman, and to him nearly if not all the Braytons of New England trace their origin. He early entered into the political life of the country, serving as a member of the General Court of Commissioners for the Colony, for many years as member of the Rhode Island General Assembly, and frequently during the later generations his descendants have held positions of responsibility and trust in the public offices of State and the private offices of the business world. The name is found on the rolls of the United States Army and Navy, and on the professional records of the clergy, the physician, and the lawyer. This article, however, is confined to one of the branches of the family several of whose members chose the commercial world for their sphere and through which, during the phenomenal growth of Fall River’s industrial life, the name of Brayton became prominent and influential. In 1714, Preserved Brayton, grandson of Francis, purchased 138 acres of land from William Little, whose father was one of the proprietors of the ShawomeOKt Purchase in Swanzey, Massachusetts. This farm, since known as the Brayton Homestead, borders on the west bank of the Taunton river and is located in the present town of Somerset, which, in 1790, was set apart from Swanzey (now spelled Swansea). Preserved had already married Content Coggeshall, the granddaughter of John Coggeshall, whose name is handed down in history as that of a...

Biographical Sketch of Edgar E. Strong

Strong, Edgar E.; merchant; born, Connecticut, 1841; son of William C. and Lucy M. Nicholas Strong; educated, Seminary at East Greenwich, R. I.; left school to enter the army in 1862; married, Cleveland, January, 1869, Mary Ella Clarke; issue, four children, two living; entered the army in 1862, as a private in the 16th Regiment, Conn. Vol. Infantry; promoted to 2nd lieut., Dec. 25, 1862, and to 1st Lieut., May 2, 1863; further promotions impossible, owing to requirements being reduced in numbers to a point which prohibited promotions; honorably discharged at close of war; in 1887, engaged in the mill supply business in a co-partnership, under the firm name of Strong, Carlise & Turney; in 1893, incorporated under the name of The Strong, Carlise & Turney Co.; in 1898, the Corporation name was changed to the Strong, Carlise & Hammond Co.; in 1908, organized and incorporated The Clark Mnfg. Co.; pres. The Strong, Carlise & Hammond Co., and The Clark Mnfg. Co.; veteran member of Tyrian Lodge, F. & A. M., and Cleveland Chapter, R. A. M.; Military Order The Loyal Legion and the Grand Army of the Republic; member Cleveland Yacht Club. Recreations: Fishing and Motor...

Pin It on Pinterest