Discover your family's story.

Enter a grandparent's name to get started.

Start Now

1850 Gazetteer of Slapton England

SLAPTON, a pleasant village on the acclivity, rising from the central part of the coast of Start Bay, 6 miles S.W. by S. of Dartmouth, has in its parish 726 inhabitants, 3260 acres of tithe free land, and many scattered houses, commanding fine views of the bay and...

1850 Gazetteer of Stoke-Gabriel England

STOKE-GABRIEL, 3½ miles S.E. of Totnes, is a neat village picturesquely scattered on the east bank of the estuary of the Dart, where a small creek projects about a mile eastward, and by being dammed up is made to turn the wheel of a tidal corn mill. Its parish...

1850 Gazetteer of Stoke Fleming England

STOKE FLEMING is a pleasant modernised village, on a commanding acclivity, rising from the northern coast of Start Bay, 2½ miles S.S.W. of Dartmouth. Its parish contains 736 souls, and 3332 acres of land, mostly having a light fertile soil, resting on dunstone and...

1850 Gazetteer of Staverton England

STAVERTON is a small village at the south-eastern extremity of its large parish, on the south side of the river Dart, 3 miles N.N.W. of Totnes. Its parish comprises 1069 souls, and 5356A. 2R. 5P. of land, rising boldly from the Dart valley, and including the hamlets...

1850 Gazetteer of South Pool England

POOL, (SOUTH) a small village at the head of a navigable creek, five miles S.S.E. of Kingsbridge, has in its parish 555 souls, and 1929A. 3R. 18P. of land including, North Pool hamlet and part of Frogmore village. (See Sherford.) W. M. Praed, Esq., is lord of the...

1850 Gazetteer of Ringmore England

RINGMORE, or Rinmore, a small scattered village, near Bigbury Bay, 4½ miles S. of MODBURY, has in its parish 362 souls, and about 1400 acres of land, bounded on the south and east by the sea and the mouth of the river Aven. H. R. Roe, Esq., is lord of the manor,...

1850 Gazetteer of Shaugh Prior England

SHAUGH PRIOR is a large parish of scattered farm houses, &c., in the valley of the river Plym, and among the hills and dales at the south end of Dartmouth(sic) Forest, extending from 7 to 10 miles N.N.E. of Plymouth. Near Shaugh Bridge, on the Plym, the Dewerstone...

1850 Gazetteer of Sherford England

SHERFORD, a small ancient village, in a pleasant valley, three miles E. of Kingsbridge, has in its parish 450 souls, and 2326 acres of land, including part of the village of Frogmore, which is situated at the head of a navigable creek, three miles E.S.E. of...

1850 Gazetteer of South Brent England

BRENT, (SOUTH) a large irregularly built village, in the valley of the small river Avon, has a station on the South Devon Railway, five miles N.E. of Ivybridge, 6 miles W. of Totnes, and 7 miles S.S.W. of Ashburton. Its parish contains 1237 souls, and about 10,100...

1850 Gazetteer of South Huish England

HUISH, (SOUTH) a parish of scattered houses, from 4 to 5 miles S.W. of Kingsbridge, has 368 souls, and 1150A. 2R. 14P. of land, bounded by the beach of Bigbury Bay, and including the hamlets of Silverhill, Galmpton, and Hope Cove, the latter of which is a small...
Page 2 of 71234567

Pin It on Pinterest