Discover your family's story.

Enter a grandparent's name to get started.

Start Now

Biography of Jay H. Dobbin

Although Wallowa County is distinctively a stock county and there are residing here some of the leading stock men of the northeastern part of our state, it is capable gentleman whose name is at the head of this article, to state that he is among the heaviest stock owners of the county and is also doubtless one of the largest real estate owners of the county, which demonstrates his excellent capabilities to manage large concerns, besides his ability to gain property, which has been manifested is a commendable manner, and Wallowa county is indebted much to his energy and skill and sagacity, while his uprightness and integrity are quite commensurate with his capabilities. Jay H. was born in DeKalb County, Illinois, on February 12, 1870, being the son of J. J. and Nancy (Tefft) Dobbin, natives of New York. The father was a prosperous farmer in the county mentioned, as well as in Kendall County. He resides there now, but spends much of his time in New York. The father was a prosperous farmer in the county mentioned, as well as in Kendall County. He resides there now, but spends much of his time in New York. The mother passed away on March 10, 1888, at Sandwich, Illinois. Our subject received his educational training in the schools of his native place and under the tutorage of his wise and skillful father, so that when manhood’s estate was reached, he was prepared to enter the battle of life in proper manner. At the age of nineteen he left the home scenes and turned toward the boundless west, landing in Union...

Biographical Sketch of Edward Eckman

He was an Assessor of Hayes Township, Ida County, Iowa, and was born in Sweden in 1858. He was the son of Frederic and Sophia (Anderson) Eckman, natives of Sweden. Edward was reared and educated in the schools of Sweden and De Kalb County, Illinois, arriving there in 1875. He was engaged in farm labor and in 1878 located on his farm in Hayes Township, Ida County, which he purchased in 1876. He served as Road Supervisor for 4 years for Hayes Township, as Constable two years, and was Assessor beginning 1890. He had a brother Peter, a sister Augusta (wife of Ben Larson of Hayes Township); Christine (Mrs. Charles Gran of De Kalb County, Illinois); and a brother Swanter. He married Ida Johnson, a native of Sweden, in 1885. She was from Grundy County, Illinois, and her family located there at Morris, Illinois, in 1871. Her parents were John and Helena (Johnson) Johnson. She had a brother Albert and a sister Viola. Ida’s family came to Ida County in 1887. Mr. and Mrs. Edward Eckman had two children: Roy and...

Biography of William A. Horan

Rev. William A. Horan, late pastor of St. Mary’s Roman Catholic Church, at Freeport, Ill., was born in Pierce township, DeKalb Co., Ill., on Feb. 2nd, 1851, and is the son of the late Patrick M. and Mary (Hanaghan) Horan. Patrick M. Horan was a native of Ireland,, and was born in the year 1800. When a young man he removed to England, where he served in the British army. In 1839 he married Mary, a daughter of Malachy Hanaghan, of county Mayo, Ireland, their union resulting in the birth of twelve children, five of whom are still living. In 1849, in company with their parents and other members of their family, they emigrated to the United States intending to land at New Orleans, but on account of the cholera were not permitted to land but sent up the river and made the first landing at Beardstown, 111. They went directly to DeKalb, Ill., where the father-in-law purchased a tract of 160 acres of fertile farm land in the township of Pierce. Mr. Horan passed away in Aug., 1897, having survived his wife, Mary, twenty-four years. William (our subject) attended the public schools of his native town and the High school at DeKalb, from which he graduated with honor, at the age of fifteen. During the following two years he remained at home on the farm, but, determining to fit himself for the priesthood, in 1868 he entered that celebrated institution of learning, the University of Niagara, Niagara, N. Y., where he spent six years in the study of Classics, and four in Theology. In 1877 he completed the...

Pin It on Pinterest