Discover your family's story.

Enter a grandparent's name to get started.

Start Now

Biography of Reuben Roughton

Reuben Roughton. Among the many beautiful country estates which are to be found in Champaign County one of the most attractive and valuable is the farm of Reuben Roughton, which is located in section 27, Ludlow Township, one and one-half miles north of Rantoul. The owner of this property is one of the progressive agriculturists of the county, a skilled and industrious representative of his vocation, and a citizen who in many ways has contributed to the advancement of his locality. He was born at Attercliff, near Sheffield, England, but has been a resident of the United States since he was one and one-half years of age. John Roughton, the father of Reuben Roughton, was born in England, where he received his education, and as a young man learned the trade of blacksmith, which he thoroughly mastered and which he followed for many years. In his native country he was united in marriage with Eliza Gilbert, who was born at Leicestershire, England, and they became the parents of ten children, all of whom died in infancy with the exception of Reuben. When this son was one and one-half years of age the family immigrated to the United States and first settled at Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, but in 1854 removed to Urbana, Illinois, and subsequently settled at Big Grove in Champaign County, where they were residing at the outbreak of the Civil War. John Roughton enlisted in the Seventy-sixth Regiment, Illinois Volunteer Infantry, a famous fighting organization, under Colonel Busey. In the army it was soon found out that he was a skilled blacksmith and a mechanical genius as well,...

Biographical Sketch of John Christian Ulmer

Ulmer, John Christian; manfr.; born, Wurttenberg, Germany, Dec. 26, 1862; son of Christian and Ann Maria Klein Ulmer; educated in Germany and the Cuyahoga Falls, O., High School; started in the machinist trade, jobbing and marine engine building, but mostly tool-making and foreman until 1893; started a business for the repairing of engineering, surveying and scientific instruments; in 1895, began the manufacture of same, incorporated 1906, as the J. C. Ulmer Co.; since 1896, the “Ulmer” instruments have been extensively used in the laying out of the Cleveland park system, water tunnels, sewers, track elevations, and many public and private enterprises in the city, as well as in many other cities, colleges and private corporations; railroads, as well as the U. S. Government, are owners of “Ulmer” transits and levels, which are built to stand upon their merits and are giving universal satisfaction wherever used; the company also manufacturers the “Lucaschain Tapes,” which are unsurpassed for accuracy and quality, over 75,000 feet being in use by the government in the Philippine Islands, and many times more than that in North and South America; pros. and treas. The J. C. Ulmer Co.; manfr. scientific instruments; member Cleveland Engineering Society, and of all the different Masonic bodies, and the Knights of Pythias, and the Y. M. C. A. Recreations: Hunting, Fishing, Boating and Photography; is one of the very few instrument makers in the U. S., never having been connected with any instrument establishment; the “Ulmer” instruments were designed by him and have many original features which characterize them; motto from the beginning has always been “What is Worth Doing is...

Biographical Sketch of John George Spenzer

Spenzer, John George; physician-chemist; born, Cleveland, Sept. 6, 1864; son of Peter I. and Mary T. Molloy Spenser; educated, Cleveland public and private schools, Adelbert College, Western Reserve Medical College, M. D. 1884; University of Strassburg, Germany, Ph. D., 1893; F. C. S., London, 1894 married, Cuyahoga Falls, O., June 15, 1898, Minnie Elizabeth Kittelberger; one son and one daughter; some fifty scientific papers, of pharmacal, chemical, toxicologic, pharmacologic and crystallographic interest from 1881; asst. in chemistry, Western Reserve Medical College, 1880-1884; at same time lecturer in chemistry in 1880-1884; asst. in chemistry and mineralogy, Adelbert College, M. D., Western Reserve, 1884; instructor in pharmacology and experimental therapeutics, Medical Dept., Western Reserve University, 1894-1896; same years professor of chemistry, Dental Dept., same University; professor of general and medical chemistry and pharmacology, Medical Dept., Ohio Wesleyan University, 1896-1910; Paris, 1894; Berne, 1895; Sasso. prof. of legal chemistry, Medical Dept., Western Reserve University, 1910-1912; in 1912, asso. prof., same University, of legal chemistry and medical jurisprudence; also prof. of chemistry at Reserve School of Pharmacy in 1912; member Philomatic Society of Alsace, Germany; German Chemical Society; Fellow English Chemical Society and American Association for the Advancement of Science; honorary member Ohio Pharmaceutical Ass’n, Cleveland Pharmaceutical Assn; member Cleveland Chemical Society, Cleveland Academy of Medicine, Ohio State Medical Society, and American Medical...

Biographical Sketch of James William Rattle

Rattle, James William; mining engineer; born, Cuyahoga Falls, 0., Sept. 6, 1852; son of William and Elizabeth Goodwin Gaylord Rattle; educated, Sheffield Scientific School, Yale University; married, Cleveland, Aug. 9, 1877 Julia Cary, issue, William Rattle and Elizabeth Goodwin Rattle; Republican; mining engineer since 1874; examined properties in Russia, Alaska, South America, Cuba, New Foundland, Canada, and all states in the United States; opened office in Cleveland in 1874, as an analytical chemist and mining engineer; firm names Judson & Rattle. Rattle & Nye, W. J. Rattle & Son; member Institute Mining Engineers, N. Y., and Chemist Club, N. Y.; 32nd degree Mason; member Union...

Pin It on Pinterest