Discover your family's story.

Enter a grandparent's name to get started.

Start Now

Humboldt Basin

The first discovery of gold in Mormon Basin was made by some men from Humboldt River Nevada. They had been to the Auburn mines, and like many others, became discouraged at first sight of the country and were on their way home again when they made their discovery. Charles Stubley dug the first ditch from Glengary gulch to Sunburnt flat. Mr. Ingraham came to the camp January 2, 1863, and got an interest in some claims where he and two others did the first sluicing in the spring of ’63, taking out $65 per day per man. Mr. Getchell made as high as $200 per day with a rocker on his claim. There was no arrangement made for a formal observance of the Fourth of July at the Basin in 1863, and the miners all through the camp were a little surprised at about nine o’clock in the morning to bear an orator declaiming loudly, and on looking for the source from which the noise emanated, he discovered George Henry in the top of a pine tree rehearsing Patrick Henry’s celebrated speech delivered in the Virginia house of Burgesses in 1775. In the month of May 1867, Samuel Leonard and William Rankin went down Canyon creek from the Basin on a fishing excursion. They left the horse which they took with them on the side of the hill, while they went down to the creek to fish. When they got ready to start home, Leonard went up to get the horse, he was shot and killed by Indians. Rankin ran into the brush and jumped into the creek and...

Burnt River Ditch

In 1863, some work was done on a ditch which had been surveyed from Clarks Creek mines to Burnt River, and the next year a company was incorporated to prosecute the work, under the name of the Burnt River Ditch company, W. H. Packwood, Jasper Hall, Robert Kitchen and Lamar stockholders. There was not much done towards constructing the ditch, however, until 1867, when the matter came up again on a proposition to build a ditch to convey water to the Shasta district, and the work was begun, eleven miles being dug that season. The next year, 1868, it was extended to Rock Creek and in 1869 to East Camp creek, making 57 miles in all. In the summer of 1870 water was conveyed from East Camp creek to the Shasta mines, and nothing done towards extending the ditch farther that season. The work had cost up to that time $150,000. Mr. Buford of Rock Island, Illinois, bought the ditch in September 1870, and in ’71 extended it 30 miles farther to the south fork of Burnt River. Packwood & Carter took control again in ’74 and built 13 miles further to the middle fork of Burnt River, making the total length of main ditch over 100 miles. The size of the main ditch is five feet wide at the bottom and seven at the top; grade, four 80.100 feet to the miles, carrying capacity, 1500 inches, miners measure. Packwood & Carter constructed about 22 miles of distributing ditches from ’74 to ’78. The entire cost of all the work was about $500.000. When the time comes that water...

Pin It on Pinterest