David W. Goodrich, son of George and Lucinda (Wells) Goodrich, and a descendant of William Goodrich, of the ancient line of that name in England, who emigrated to Watertown, Mass., about 1636, came to Chesterfield from Gill, Mass., about 1810. He was a cloth dresser by trade, but after some years’ residence here he engaged
Barton Skinner, son of Timothy Skinner, of Westmoreland, was born December 19, 1801, and resided in Chesterfield from 1853 till April, 1863. He was a manufacturer at Factory Village, and was town representative in 185758. He removed to Keene, where he died February 11, 1865.
Frank A. Pierce, son of Alson and Susanna (Wheeler) Pierce, was born in Chesterfield, April 20, 1854, and married October 25, 1870, Persis M., daughter of Snow Printice. Previous to her marriage she taught several terms of school with good success. She died June 12, 1883. Mr. Pierceis a farmer, residing on the Ebenezer Pierce
Samuel Goodrich, son of Abijah, was born in Fitchburg, Mass., September 6, 1788, and married Hannah Cain, of Weymouth, Mass., March 31, 181 r. He settled in Chesterfield about 1813, upon the farm now owned and occupied by Willard Henry, and remained there until his death, January 1, 1877. He was selectman in 1836, 1837,
Spafford brook is an outlet from the easterly shore of Spafford lake. The waters from the channel, “which flow easterly, take a southeasterly course, crossing the main road near George Hamilton’s sash and blind shop. Passing Currier Bros. bit manufactory, it takes an abrupt turn northward, again crossing the main road near Fred Pierce’s brush
Waitstill Scott was in Westmoreland at the time of the Revolution, and commanded the company that marched from that town on the occasion of the alarm at Ticonderoga. He probably came to Chesterfield between 1815 and 1818. His children were Eunice, Lydia, Waitstill, Rufus, Rhodolphus, Lucy, Lyman, Chester, and Justus. Rhodolphus, born January 7, 1780,
William Bennett married Sally Pierce, and came from Harvard, Mass., about 1788, settling near Chesterfield line in the southern part of Westmoreland, near the farm which George Bennett now owns. He was a Revolutionary soldier and was at the battle of Lexington. His grandson, George Bennett, has in his possession a bullet which his grandfather
John Butler, whose father, Josiah, was a nephew of Col. Josiah Willard, the principal grantee of Chesterfield, was born in Hinsdale, February 5.1786, and settled in Chesterfield in 1824. His widow, Lydia (Crowninshield) Butler, survives him, residing on road 27. Mr. Butler reared eight children: Marshall, Warren, Josiah, Ephraim, Erastus, Maria, Roswell, and Otis. Thomas
WEST CHESTERFIELD is a post village located in the western part of the town near the Connecticut. It has one church (Union), one store, two sawmills, a box-stock factory, two grist-mills, two blacksmith shops, a village-hall, and about twenty dwellings.
Samuel Gilson, born about 1752, appears to have settled in Chesterfield about 1791, and is said to have been the first blacksmith at Factory Village. He died in 1826, aged seventy-four years. His son Calvin married Mehitabel, daughter of Joseph Pattridge, in 1810. Their children were Prescott W., Louisa M., Luke H., Sarah, and Joseph