Samuel Hamilton, born in Ireland, in 1752, was the son of a linen merchant, or weaver, came to Boston about 1772, and settled in Chesterfield sometime between 1780 and 1785. He married Mary, sister of Dr. Joshua Tyler, May 9, 1775. He was engaged after coming to Chesterfield in the weaving of linen cloth. He
In the troubled times of the Revolution the little town performed her part bravely and well. In September, 1775, the selectman made an enumeration of the inhabitants of the town, and in their report to the provincial authorities stated that thirty-six persons were absent in the army; that there were eighty-three guns in the town
Benjamin Marsh, son of Rev. Elisha Marsh, came here from Walpole, about 1785. He married Mrs. Hannah Graves in 1788, and died April 7, 1811. His children were Reuben, Asa, Elizabeth and Mary L. Reuben was born December 20, 1788, and married Mary, daughter of Joab Wetherbee, in 18r5. He was captain of one of
Benjamin F. Pierce, youngest son of Ezekial P. Pierce, was born in Chesterfield, August 1, 1833. He attended the district school and the academy in his native town, fitted for college under Professor Lafayette W. Ward, of Westminster, Vt., and afterwards attended Corner’s Commercial college at Boston. In 1859, he was employed in the counting-room
Joseph Titus came to Chesterfield in 1777, from Douglas, Mass., soon after his marriage there to Mary Bigelow, and cleared and put in thorough cultivation one of its most rocky, hill-side farms. He was fourth in descent from Robert Titus, who came from near Stanstead Abbey, Hartfordshire, England, in 1635, and finally settled on Long
Alexander, son of Clark Chandler, married Lydia J. Herrick, April 29,, 1839, and died June 29. 1881. His widow resides on 14 1/2. Their children were Maria F., Francis Mason, Harriet Barber and Clark Nelson.
John Kneeland, son of Timothy, was born in Gardner, Mass., in 1766 or 1767. He married Polly Johnson in 1791. He came to Chesterfield about 1797 and resided many years on the farm now owned by Charles C. P. Goodrich, Esq., and which has long been known as the “Squire Kneeland farm.”He was justice of
Early settlers on or near the shores of Spafford lake were one Ladd, near the northwest shore, hence the name of Lard’s meadow, one by the name of Jewels, on the “Charlier place, “giving the name Jewell’s point, a Mr. Reed, who settled near the east shore, in the vicinity of Reed’s cove, Capt. John
David W. Goodrich, son of George and Lucinda (Wells) Goodrich, and a descendant of William Goodrich, of the ancient line of that name in England, who emigrated to Watertown, Mass., about 1636, came to Chesterfield from Gill, Mass., about 1810. He was a cloth dresser by trade, but after some years’ residence here he engaged
Barton Skinner, son of Timothy Skinner, of Westmoreland, was born December 19, 1801, and resided in Chesterfield from 1853 till April, 1863. He was a manufacturer at Factory Village, and was town representative in 185758. He removed to Keene, where he died February 11, 1865.