William Randall came to Chesterfield from Cranston, R. I., about 1780. His children were Eleazer, Anthony, Benajah, and Esther. Eleazer married Martha Staples, and settled in Chesterfield on land given him by his father. His children were Roxana, Prusha, Diana, Nathan, and Eleazer. The latter, born August 4, 1796, married Clarissa, daughter of Benjamin Wheeler,
John Darling came to Chesterfield, from Winchendon, Mass., February 17, 1778, and settled upon a part of what is now known as Barrett hill. He was one of the party that made the famous march to Quebec, in 1775, under command of Benedict Arnold, through the wilderness of Maine. At an early period he built
Joseph Atherton, son of Oliver, of Howard, Mass., came to this town about 1794, and located upon what is now known as “Atherton hill.” He held many of the town offices and was highly respected. He died April 4, 1839. He married Hannah Farnsworth, in 1771, who bore him eight children: Nathaniel, Oliver, Arathusa, Sally,
Benjamin Wild came here from Norton, Mass., in the autumn of 1801, and settled in the eastern part of the town. His wife was Sarah Babbitt, who died in Chesterfield in 1826, in her seventy-fourth year, he dying soon after in his seventy-ninth year, His children were Sally, John, Nancy, David, Nathan, Abigail and Elsie.
Eli Pattridge moved here from Mendon, Mass., about 1776, and remain in this town until 1800, when he moved to the northern part of the state. He had born to him nine children, namely: Eli, Joseph, Amos, M Rachel,, Charles. Nathaniel, Abel and Adam. Joseph, born in 1753, married Sarah Warren, of Mendon, Mass. He
Jonathan Hildreth settled in Westmoreland as early as 1751, and moved to this town about 1763, settling on the farm now owned by Watson Wheeler. He was selectman in 1767, ’70, ’79. Lotan, son of Jonathan, was born March 29, 1763, married Sarah Pierce, and died June 3, 1812. Africa, one of his eleven children,
Beza Aldrich, son of Gen. George and Azuba (How) Aldrich, of Westmoreland, born September 21, 1779, married Lydia Arnold, settled in Chesterfield about 1831, and died here October 28, 1857. Their children were Warren L., William A., Helen A. and George A.
William Henry is said to have come to Chesterfield, from Lunenburg, Mass, between 1770 and 1776. He married May Conn, who bore him six children, as follows: May, William, James, Betty, Eunice, and Freelove. James married Mary, daughter of Gibson Willard, in 1798, who bore him six children. They were Frederick W., Rebecca H., John
Henry O. Coolidge, whose father, Oscar, was one of the early merchants of the town, was born January 5. 1830. In 1849 and 1870 he engaged in trade at the Center village in partnership with Hon. C. J. Amidon; from ’51 to ’62 (excepting ’54, when he was in Brattleboro. Vt.) with his father; from
Peter Wheeler came to this town about 1762, and settled where Russell H. Davis now lives, not far from the brook that bears his name. His children were Lydia, Peter, Jane, John, Ephraim, Jonathan, Olive, Samuel, and Sally. Peter, born in 1762, married Sarah, daughter of Amos Hubbard, who bore him twelve children, namely: Hubbard,