Samuel Blaisdell, from Bennington, Vt., located in the central part of the town at an early day, where he died in 1812, aged eighty years. He reared nine sons and four daughters, nearly all of whom settled in the town. Joseph, the second son, born in 1789, came with his father, and spent the remainder
Willard Griswold, from Springfield, Vt., came here previous to 1820, and commenced work as a carpenter. In 1825, he built the house now occupied by his son, Alonzo C. During his long life here, he held the office of town clerk from 1839 to 1848, and served as representative two terms. Of his family of
Asa Adams came here from Massachusetts about 1818, and located a little southeast of Jeffersonville, where he died Sept. 12, 1861, aged eighty-two years. Elijah, his youngest son, born in 1809 now resides on road 6.
Patrick Duffy, from Ireland, came to Cambridge about 1820, and located on road 49, where he resided until his death in 1865, aged sixty-four. He had a family of eight children. Margaret E., the eldest, became the wife of Edward Henley, in 1850. Mr. Henley died in 1875, leaving four children.
Nathaniel Read, from Massachusetts, came here in 1800, and located upon the farm now owned by his grandson, Silas H. He reared a family of eleven children, six of whom are settled in the town, and died October 12, 1839.
Ira Morgan, of Pownal, Vt., born in 1773, came to Cambridge about 1800. In 1803, he married Mary Barber, by whom he had four children, and, in 1817, he married his second wife, Mary Phillips, this union being blessed with four children, two of whom now reside here. He died in 1848, aged seventy-five. William-S.,
John Austin, from Windsor, Vt., located in the western part of the town, in 1810, where he died in 1843, aged seventy years. Enoch, the eldest of his eight children, born in 1804, is still a resident of the town.
Nathan Smilie came from Massachusetts about the year 1811, and located upon the farm in Cambridge now owned by his son, Henry. He represented the town in the legislature, and served in other positions of trust, and died here at an advanced age. Henry, his fourth son, was born in 1826, and resides here.
William Melendy came from New Hampshire about the year 1812, and located upon a farm in that portion of the town which was subsequently annexed from Sterling. He reared ten children, five of whom settled in the town. William, the oldest, born in 1819, now resides on road 8. He represented his town in the
Joel Putnam, the second child of Luther Putnam, an early settler in Fletcher, Franklin county, was born in 1814, and came to Cambridge in 1856, locating upon the farm he now occupies.