A Narrative of the captivity of Nehemiah How, who was taken by the Indians at the Great Meadow Fort above Fort Dummer, where he was an inhabitant, October 11th, 1745. Giving an account of what he met with in his traveling to Canada, and while he was in prison there. Together with an account of Mr. How’s death at Canada. Exceedingly valuable for the many items of exact intelligence therein recorded, relative to so many of the present inhabitants of New England, through those friends who endured the hardships of captivity in the mountain deserts and the damps of loathsome prisons. Had the author lived to have returned, and published his narrative himself, he doubtless would have made it far more valuable, but he was cut off while a prisoner, by the prison fever, in the fifty-fifth year of his age, after a captivity of one year, seven months, and fifteen days. He died May 25th, 1747, in the hospital at Quebec, after a sickness of about ten days. He was a husband and father, and greatly beloved by all who knew him.
A short history of the battles fought during King Philip’s War, including maps of the campaigns and New England Indian tribes.
Nipmuc Indians (from Nipamaug, ‘fresh-water fishing place’). The inland tribes of central Massachusetts living chiefly in the south part of Worcester county, extending into Connecticut and Rhode Island. Their chief seats were on the headwaters of Blackstone and Quinebaug rivers, and about the ponds of Brookfield. Hassanamesit seems to have been their principal village in
Jacob Walker, from Brookfield, Mass., located on road 38 at an early date. Mr. Walker, more popularly known as Dea. Jacob Walker, was for many years the county surveyor. He married Philippa Story, by whom he reared a family of nine children, two of whom, Zebiah Burke, aged eighty-three years, and Cynthia Stevens, aged seventy-eight
William Walker, from Brookfield, Mass., located in the northern part in 1800, where he died in 1813. Lyman, the youngest of his nine children, born in 1811, resided on the old homestead, held many of the town offices, and died in 1879. He reared five children, all of whom now reside here.