Discover your family's story.

Enter a grandparent's name to get started.

Start Now

Biographical Sketch of J. T. Payne

Mr. Payne was born in Clay County, Indiana, in 1851 and was the son of William Benjamin and Malinda (Sturdevant) Payne. He was reared and educated in Boone County, Iowa. May 18, 1875 he purchased prairie land in Section 20, Hayes Township, Ida County, Iowa. Two years later he erected a small house and began farming the land. In 1890 he built a fine, frame residence. He assisted in organizing and naming Hayes Township in 1878, which was taken from Corwin Township. He organized the school districts and was Secretary of the Board during the erection of six school buildings. The lumber for the first building was hauled from Denison, Ia. He was one of the original settlers of Hayes Township. J. T. Payne married Miss Georgiana Friott on February 29, 1880. Georgiana was reared in Massachusetts to the age of 9, lived in Chicago, and in 1878 came to Hayes Township, Ida County, Iowa. They had 5 children: Ruby, Rodney, Armour, Luva, and...

Biography of Richard Williams

He was County Commissioner of Ida County, Iowa, was born in Schuylkill Co., Pa., in 1845. He was the youngest child of Thomas and Margaret (Watters) Williams, natives of Cornwall, England. Richard was reared and educated in Jo Daviess Co., Illinois. In October 1864, he enlisted in Battery F, First Illinois Light Artillery, for one year, or during the war. He served principally with Battery I. He took part in the battles of Nashville, followed Hood to Eastport, Ms., where he was on garrison duty. He was honorably discharged at Chicago in August, 1865. Richard now resumed farming in Illinois. In 1868, he moved to Boone Co., Iowa, and engaged in farm labor, and assisted in building the Illinois Central railroad from Webster to Sioux City, Iowa. In May 1872, Richard married Angeline Ewer, a native of Wisconsin, a daughter of Ruel and Ellen (Wamsley) Ewer, natives of England. Richard and Angeline had eight children: T. F., Ellen, William H., Rosa, Albert Grant, Clara, Omer, and Charley. Mr. Williams was one of the earliest pioneers of Grant Township, there having been only one house between his home and Ida Grove when he located in Ida County. In 1875, Mr. Williams purchased 160 acres of raw prairie land in Grant Township, Ida County, and erected a one-story house. In 1890, he built a two-story house. He assisted in organizing Grant Township, also every school district in the township, and in 1891 was elected County Commissioner. He is a member of the Matthew Gray Post, G.A.R., at Ida Grove, Ia. In 1839, Richard’s parents left their native land for the United...

Pin It on Pinterest