Isaac Tillotson, from Massachusetts, came to Belvidere at an early date, remaining until his death, in 1857, aged ninety-eight years. Isaac was a revolutionary soldier, and reared a family of eight children. His son, Eben, was born in 1783, reared a family of nine children, and died in 1848. Chauncey, youngest son of Eben, born
William Thomas, from the southern part of the State, came to the eastern part of this town about the year 1800. He was a Baptist clergyman, and held services in houses, barns, etc. Amos, a grandson of William, born in July, 1800, still manages a farm in Belvidere. George B., the oldest son of Amos,
BELVIDERE, a very mountainous, pentagonal shaped town, located in the northwestern corner of the county, in 44° 47′ north latitude, and in longitude 4° 19′ east from Washington,* is bounded north by Avery’s Gore, and Montgomery, in Franklin county, east by Eden, south by Johnson and Waterville, and west by Waterville. It was granted to
Curtis Brown of Belvidere, son of Lybeout and Betsey W. (Ward) Brown, was born in Coventry, Oct. 16, 1825. His father was the first Republican representative in the Legislature of the state, to which both his son and grandson have been elected. Mr. Brown was educated in the common schools of Coventry and afterwards at
Eugene L. Chappell, from Canada, came to Belvidere in 1857, being the third to locate in that part of the town called the Basin, since which time, with the exception of three years spent in the service of his country during the late war, has resided in the town. He married Miss Amelia St. John,
Charles B. Weston was born in Franklin county, in 1805, and came to Belvidere in 1852, since which time he has been a resident of the town. He represented his townsmen in the legislature of 1874, and has held most of the other town offices.
Sylvanus Brown, from Orleans county, came to this town in 1838, and located near the central part, where he died, in 1867, aged sixty-eight years. Curtis, his third child, born in 1826, has represented the town two years, held other town offices, and is reckoned one of the most expert hunters in the State. He
Norman M. Cheeney, the second son of Joseph Cheeney, an early settler in Waterville, was born in 1820, and has resided in Belvidere about twelve years, during which time he has held most of the town trusts.
David Chaffee, from Athens, Vt., came to Belvidere among the early settlers, but, after a few years residence here, he removed to Boston, Mass. Alva, the second of his nine children, born in 1796, remained in the town, continuing a resident until his death, in 1868. He reared a family of nine children, and took
Martin Shattuck, son of Randall and Mary Ann (Thomas) Shattuck, Randall being the youngest son of Moody, was born in this town in Feb. 5, 1842. Mr. Shattuck received his intellectual training at the common schools of Belvidere, but his practical education was derived from hard labor upon his father’s farm where he remained till