C. C. Van Houten lived on a farm near Battle Creek, in Maple Township, Ida County, Iowa, and was identified with the agricultural interests of this place since 1882. Mr. Van Houten was born in Clarion County, Pa., April 24, 1856. John Van Houten, his father, a native of the Keystone State, served during the
He came to the Battle Creek, Iowa, Ida County, in 1872 to farm. He was born in Forfarshire, Scotland, June 27, 1857, son of John and Matilda (Hill) Preston. His parents are from Scotland and they reared a family of eight children with John being the 7th born. He received a good education in his
He is a citizen of Battle Creek, Ia., Ida County, and an ex-soldier of the Civil War. He was born in Ashtabula County, Ohio on September 22, 1837. He was raised on a farm in the Territory of Iowa, Linn County. He had his school lessons in a primitive log schoolhouse of Iowa. In 1862,
William Smith was owner and proprietor of the Central Roller Mills, Ida Grove, Ia. He succeeded Wilkinson & Smith in the milling business, this firm having succeeded Brown & Ream. Mr. Brown was the founder of the milling plant and erected the a two-story structure building in 1883. It was a buhrstone mill having a
Henry Lee, proprietor of Summit Heights stock farm, near Battle Creek, Ida County, Iowa, was born near Carlisle, Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, March 17, 1833. He was married November 24, 1863 to Maria Fishburn, the daughter of John and Catherine Fishburn. Henry and Maria had 4 children: Harry F., Kate M., Myra M., and Thomas H.
Enoch Jones, a well-known citizen of Battle Creek, Iowa, was a resident of Ida County since 1883, and of Iowa, since 1852. He was born in Bourbon County, Ky., March 6, 1825. He was reared and educated in Kentucky, and learned the trade of blacksmith. John Jones, his grandfather, married a native of Wales. He
He was the proprietor of the Rink Livery, Sale & Feed Barn, Battle Creek, Iowa. The building was 30 x 80 feet, well arranged, and equipped throughout. Mr. Miller kept a full line of carriages and buggies, with ten to sixteen good driving horses, speedy and gentle. His kind courtesy to patrons secured for him
Hotel Rinehart was one of the hostelries of Battle Creek, Iowa, situated a short distance from the railroad depot. It had 14 bright, cheery, neat and comfortable rooms and was inviting to the dusty, fatigued traveler. There was a restaurant and lunch counter where the best of meals and all temperance drinks were provided. Mr.
Peter Morrison was reared and educated in New York where he learned the trade of a carpenter, and was engaged there in railroad contracting. In 1867 he came to Ida County, Iowa, in 1872 located in Garfield township, and in 1874 settled in Battle Creek when that place contained only a post office. He immediately
He was one of the representative business men of Battle Creek, Ida County, Ia., since 1881. In 1878, he married Hannah Gillmore of Jackson County, Iowa. They had two children: Roy and Archie. He is a native of Chicago, Illinois, born June 5, 1852, son of William and Elizabeth Barrick, natives of England. When A.