Discover your family's story.

Enter a grandparent's name to get started.

Start Now

Township Officers of Arrowsmith Illinois

The following list shows the Township officers who have been elected from 1858, the year township organizations took effect, until 1879. DateVotesSupervisorClerkAssessorCollector 185856E. ArrowsmithS. O'NealA. FenstermakerJ. Fenstermaker 185947James EllisJ. FenstermakerA. FenstermakerF. Kimler 1860James EllisJ. FenstermakerS. O'NealP. Hileman 1861Jacob SmithJ. FenstermakerP. HilemanJ. F. Payne 186254Jacob SmithJ. FenstermakerA. FenstermakerHugh Birney 186381John McDowellJ. FenstermakerA. FenstermakerS. F. Bane 186497John McDowellJ. FenstermakerA. FenstermakerJ. F. Payne 186573S. F. BaneJ. FenstermakerSamuel O'NealJames Crosson 186696W. VanscoyocJ. W. StansberyG. W. RayburnAlex Coss 1867Jacob SmithA. G. BarnesW. W. Moore 186898W. VanscoyocA. RobinsonG. W. RayburnJ. W. Barnes 186993W. VanscoyocA. RobinsonJames CrossonJ. W. Barnes 1870135P. HilemanJ. W. BarnesA. BrannamanJohn Foust 1871107Jacob SmithJ. W. BarnesA. BrannamanJ. W. Barnes 1872113T. W. MauriceS. E. ClineJames CrossonJ. L. Arbogast 187395T. W. MauriceG. W. PayneA. BrannamanW. W. Moore 1874118John MarshJ. M. ThompsonA. BrannamanThomas Clary 1875139T. W. MauriceG. W. PayneA. BrannamanS. E. Cline 1876129J.A LarimerG. W. PayneA. BrannamanJ. M. Stipp 1877170J. RobinsonO. G. AthertonJ. M. StippS. E. Cline 1878173S. PorterJ. S. MillsJ. M. StippA. H. Webber 1879183T. W. MauriceJ. C. BaneA. BrannamanB. Cornell The following gentlemen have been elected Justices of the Peace: Walter Vanscoyoc, D. G. Tear, W. H. Thompson, Jeremiah Reed, J. R. Lewis, A. G. Barnes, J. M. Thompson, James Crosson. And the following Commissioners of Highways; Isaac Cornell, Jacob Smith, R. Porter, O. H. P. Vanscoyoc, Thomas Fry, Henry Hickman, John Marsh, James Cundiff, John Coss, H. R. Rayburn, R. C. Watson, J. M. Green, John Deutsch, W. C. Jones, J. R. Lewis, William Spencer. At a special town meeting, June 3, 1867, held, according to notice, to vote for or against subscribing $ 25,000 to the capital stock of the La Fayette,...

Early Settlers of Arrowsmith, Illinois

So far as the facts in regard to the earliest settlement in this township are at hand. it seems that the sons of Jonathan Cheney were the first to take up claims and live in what is now Arrowsmith. The land around the head of the timber was attractive on account of its grass. All around the old Indian fort, the blue-grass had come in after the prairie-grass had been killed out. The first year of Jonathan Cheney’s residence in the county, he had driven his cattle here for late pasturage. Undoubtedly attracted by this fine pasturage, his sons, when they began to look out homes for themselves, looked this way, for, in 1533, two or three of them had taken claims in this township. Thomas lived for a while in Section 31, where he had a little patch of about ten acres fenced in. He did not remain on it long, however, as a few years after be sold it to Daniel Hall, and joined his brother Owen, in Padua, in building a mill. He afterward went to California. Cassel Bank,. father of Marks Banks, of Padua, rented this land one year. David Hall came here about 1837, and settled on this land in Section 31. Here h e and his sons, Pryor and Daniel, built their cabins, and remained here until the old gentleman died. Pryor removed to California, and Daniel, Jr., died here, his children living around here. Their sister married Mr. Maurice. William Cheney took up the land in Section 30 about the same time, and, in 1835, Abijah Westover came from New York and...

History of Arrowsmith, Illinois

Arrowsmith Township was named by the Supervisors after Ezekiel Arrowsmith, who was the first Supervisor and one of the early settlers. It contains thirty-six sections, being a full Congressional township, and is known of record as Town 23 north, Range 5 east of the Third Principal Meridian. It is almost entirely prairie, having originally about one square mile of timber in Sections 31 and 32, where the eastern extremity of Old Town Timber lies along the line of Arrowsmith and West, giving to each a little patch of woodland, which was so highly prized by those who first commenced settlement here. There was in addition a small bunch on Section 24, ” Smith’s Grove.” which hardly grew to the importance of being called timber-land. Arrowsmith was surveyed and platted in 1871. Railroad communication was opened in 1872. The land upon which it was laid out belonged to Mr. Young, Jones Fry, James Crosson and Mr. Ulmer- ten acres each. The men were required, or permitted, as it were, to convey to the certain persons who had the care of the railroad officials, land enough upon which to start the young town fur 817 per acre, in order to get the station located in the center of township where it naturally belonged. S. E. Cline put in the first pair of scales here, late in I871, before trains were running on the railroad, so that he enjoys the reputation of being the father of the town. Cline and James R. Larimer at once commenced buying and cribbing g corn. In the spring of 1872, the switch was put in and...

Pin It on Pinterest