Elijah Towne came to Alstead, after having previously lived in Weathersfield, Vt., Windsor, Vt., and also in Munson, Mass. He married Miriam Lane, and had born to him ten children, five of whom are living. Of these Samaria married Dean Towne and lives in Worcester, Mass. Miriam married Richard Blodgett and lives in Claremont, N.
Levi Townsend came to Alstead from Massachusetts about 1800, and located in the southern part of the town. He was a farmer, married Mehitable Chandler, and had born to him four children, all boys. Charles, the only son now living, was born June 6, 1808, and, when young, went to Lowell Mass., and became overseer
In December 1790, a Calvinist Baptist church was organized at the Center, which became quite large and was for many years very prosperous. At length, in connection with the Universalist society, formed in May, 1820, they erected a church building at Alstead village and finally became extinct.
John Banks, progenitor of the Banks family in Alstead, was in the employ of Nathaniel S. Prentiss, and came with him from Grafton, Mass., in 1774 he married Susan Prentiss and reared a large family of children, one of whom was the father of Gen. N. P. Banks, of Waltham, Mass. Two sons of John,-Andrew
A Methodist class was in existence at East Alstead previous to 1820. A house of worship was built in 1839, and a church constituted, which at one time had fifty members. The organization continued until about 1865, when, the membership having become so greatly decreased, preaching was discontinued, and the membership transferred to Marlow church.
Whitney, son of Nathaniel and Nancy (Whitney) Breed, and great-grandson of Dr. Nathaniel Breed, the first settler in Nelson, was born in Nelson in 181o, and came to Alstead in 1832. He married Persis Hatch, October 26, 1837, who bore him two sons and four daughters. Mr. Breed has been a justice of the peace
On the 3d of August, 1842, this church was organized, located at Alstead village. It grew out of the inconvenience undergone by the people in this vicinity reaching the other churches, and was made up of members as follows: twenty from the church at the Center, eight from the church at Langdon, one from the
In 1788 a number of the members of the first church became dissatisfied with their pastor, or pastors, withdrew from the society, and with others, organized the Second Congregational church, at East Alstead, with eighteen members, over whom Rev. Levi Lankton, of Southington, Conn., was installed, September z, r 7 89. He remained with the
Henry A Lovell, son of Aldis Lovell, was born in Drewsville, N. H. February 12, 1837. At the age of seventeen he began life as a clerk, and at the age of twenty-four began business for himself where he is now located. In 1868 his store was burned, but was immediately rebuilt, and for four
Jonathan Shepard, of English descent, came from Coventry, Conn., in 1768, and a few years later moved his family here. For his first wife he married Love Palmer, of Stonington, Conn., who bore him seven sons and three daughters, all of whom,_ except the oldest daughter, lived in this town. Be his second wife, Polly