John Slade, of Irish descent, came from Enfield, Conn., to this town in the autumn of 1773. He married widow Leason, of Enfield, Conn., by whom he had five sons and two daughters. His sons were John, William, Thomas, Daniel, and Samuel. John, Jr., moved- to Brookfield, Vt. Lieut. William Slade married Anna Root, of
ALSTEAD CENTER, (p. o.) a hamlet located upon a hill about half a mile east of the geographical center of the town, was formerly the business center of the town, and about 1802, the prospective sight of the county court-house. It long since lost its prestige, however, and now along its single street, a school
Obadiah Blake, a native of Massachusetts, was an early settler in Keene. George, son of Royal and grandson of Obadiah, died in Wisconsin, and his son, George W., now resides in Alstead, on road 46.
Joseph Watts was born here and, resided in the town until his death, in 1816. He resided just north of the village, where he reared four children, none of whom are living. An adopted son, George U. R., is now a resident of the town. John, Isaac and Jesse, brothers of Joseph, also spent their
James Spencer was born at Springfield, Vt., in May, 1819. He learned the blacksmith trade there, married Susan M. McCrae. and reared two children, J. H. and Susan A. The former is a blacksmith in Keene, and the latter is the wife of H. P. Ware and resides in Alstead. James came to Alstead about
Col. Cyrus Kingsbury, from Worcester, Mass., came to Alstead in 1785. He married, first Annas S. Taynter, and second, Philete Partridge, rearing five sons and one daughter. He held a military commission for a considerable time, served as deacon of the Baptist church, and represented the town a number of years, and finally, in 1814,
Benjamin Proctor came to Alstead, from Ipswich, Mass., and settled in the southwestern part of the town, on lands owned by H. G. Barnes, of Walpole. He lived upon this place for many years, and then moved upon the farm now owned by Ezra Webster, where he died, March 23, 1854, aged eighty-six years. He
Dea. Jeremiah Howard, from Ipswich, Mass., came to Langdon, with his wife and three children, in 1783 or ’8q.. He took up wild land, built a log house, and reared a family of four sons and five daughters. Stephen, his first born in Langdon, spent his life on the old farm, reared seven children, and
Absalom Kingsbury, from Coventry, Conn., came to Alstead in 1771, and moved his family thither the following year. His first wife, Rebecca Rust, bore him eight sons and two daughters, the sons being as follows: Asa, Ebenezer, Ephraim, Obadiah, James, Elisha, Joshua and Amariah. His second wife was a widow Wilson. Asa studied medicine with
Elijah Towne came to Alstead, after having previously lived in Weathersfield, Vt., Windsor, Vt., and also in Munson, Mass. He married Miriam Lane, and had born to him ten children, five of whom are living. Of these Samaria married Dean Towne and lives in Worcester, Mass. Miriam married Richard Blodgett and lives in Claremont, N.