Josiah Cooke, from Coventry, Conn., came to Alstead in 1774. He married Huldah Bassett for his first wife, Lucy Desmond for his second, and reared one son and two daughters. The son, Capt. Josiah, married Sarah Emerson, who bore him three sons and two daughters-John, Arva. Beniah, Polly and Sarah. John married Eunice Parker, rearing
Isaac Fisher, from Framingham, Mass., located as a farmer in Stoddard He married twice, raising three sons and three daughters by his first wife and one son, Benjamin H., by his second. The latter has been a resident of this town for the past forty-nine years. He learned the cabinet maker’s trade in Keene, and,
Giles Marvin, one of the early settlers, located in the eastern part of the town, where he was engaged in farming and worked at his trade as a carpenter and joiner, His son William, born here in 1779, died in x867. Five of his eleven children are living, three in Alstead. Jackson resides on High
The settlement of the town was commenced about the time the charter was granted. Messrs. Simon Baker, Isaac Cady, and William Druse being the first to spend a winter in the town. Among the earlier settlers were the family names of Burroughs, Clark, Warner, Stephens, Chandler, Beckwith, Waldo and Shepard. In 1767 the population had
Timothy Tufts was born in Charleston May 29, 1824. He obtained a common school and academic education and followed teaching successfully for several years, or until 1844, when he embarked in mercantile pursuits, as a clerk in Alstead village. In 1848 he formed a co-partnership with Oliver B. Campbell, and from 1851 has conducted the
EAST ALSTEAD (p. o.) is a hamlet located about 1 mile from the east line of the town, near Warren pond, and consists of one street running north and south, bordered by a Congregational church, one store, and about a dozen dwellings. Just west of this, however, upon the outlet of the pond, is a
Asa, Reuben, and Jude Hatch, brothers, all of whom had served in the Revolution, came to Alstead, from Tolland, Conn., at an early day. Azel, son of Reuben, was seven years of age when his parents came here, and subsequently located on road z5, upon the farm now occupied by his grandson, also named Azel.
Nathaniel D. Messer was an early settler in the town, and resided here until his death, having raised a large family. One son, William H., died here in 1881. He was engaged in the manufacture of wooden-ware, rakes, etc., where his son, Frank D., now carries on the same business.
Messer Bros.’ turning and planing mill, located in East Alstead, was built for a grist and carding mill, about 100 years ago. About 1862 it came into the possession of William H. Messer, and of the present owners in 1881. They employ six hands in the manufacture of baby-carriage spokes, sapspouts, pails, knife handles, etc.
John Turner, from Mansfield, located in Walpole at an early day and died in this town in 1860. His son John G., born in Walpole in 1810, came to Alstead in 1844, and for about ten years drove a stage between Charlestown and Marlow. Since 1847 he has been actively engaged in farming. His son