Discover your family's story.

Enter a grandparent's name to get started.

Start Now

Ainsworth Public School

(Lila McAndrew) School District No. 10, Ainsworth was organized August 25, 1883, E. A. Palmer was director, J. W. Alden moderator and S. G. Chaney treasurer. The first school in district No. 10 was held in a little log building, northwest of town, on the north bank of Bone Creek, in 1882. It was taught by Mrs. Mary Wade. Some of the pupils attending were Lettie Cheney (Mrs. J. D. Kirkpatrick), Millie Cheney (Mrs. Will Kirkpatrick), Joy and Bert Cheney, Dan and Mary Woodward, (the late Mrs. L. M. Short.) In 1883 school was: held in a frame building where the home of Mr. Leve Lindquist now stands. The building was also used as a jail. Judge S. G. Sparks was the teacher. The names of the late James Munson and Albert Chaney were among those added to the list of pupils. The next year, (1884) school was held in the original Congregational church building, although the walls were not yet plastered and brown paper had to serve as a substitute. Prof. A. W. Smith presided over the advanced grades who were seated with faces to the north. Mrs. O. B. Rippey taught the primary pupils whose seat faced the south, both departments being in one room. In 1885 school convened in a two room frame structure, which was located across the street east of the present site of the Bell Telephone building. Prof. A. W. Smith continued as upper grade instructor and Mrs. Hattie Ray had charge of the lower grades. In 1886 a four-room, two story brick building was erected on the ground where the present grade...

History of Ainsworth, Nebraska

That portion of Ainsworth lying west of Main Street was platted on the homestead of Mrs. Nannie Osborn. Leroy Hall platted an addition on his land on the east side of Main, extending as far north as Fourth Street. North of that, Henry Woodward’s addition on his homestead. On the corner of Main and Fourth was the Woodward store, the first business house in the town. It was a log building put up in 1880, and was located on the freighter’s trail. Among the early business houses were Tracy add Glover’s store managed by J. D. Crawford; Munson and Secor, later Munson and Ackerman, John DeBrown, George Reed, general stores; Frank Sellors, real estate; H. J. Sutton, jewelry; Dr. O. H. Crane, drugs; W. D. McCord, elevator; Orcutt house and Burns hotel; P. D. McAndrew, L. K. Alder, Alex Altschuler and S. E. Benton, lawyers; Ed Enderly, Frank Gillette and the Davisons; Alton and Sherwood, and Burns bankers; Dr. Kenaston, physcian; Hall and Chaney, hardware; Merithew, restaurant; Ainsworth Lumber Co.; Grave and Co., lumber; Leroy Hall, proprietor Journal, Morgan and Miller, publishers; Western News, T. J. Smith, publisher; P. P. Shade, livery owned by E. Loeb; Bridgeford’s saloon. Ainsworth was incorporated as a village soon after the county was organized. The petition was presented to the commissioners on December 10, 1883, and was granted the next day. Among the signers were William H. Orcutt, Frank Sellors, P. P. Shade, Nannie Osborn, R. M. Munson, P. 1). McAndrew. T. J. Smith was the first postmaster after the office was changed from Bone Creek to Ainsworth. He was succeeded by Clark...

Bloom, Louise Jenevieve Cozad – Obituary

Louise J. Bloom, 57, an Amarillo, Texas resident, formerly of Valentine, went home to be with the Lord, September 23, 1984. She passed away at St. Anthony’s Hospital in Amarillo. She was born Feb. 26, 1927 at Merna to Bert E. and Grace M. [Simms] Cozad. Her entire childhood was spent in the Wood Lake Community. She attended grade school there and then went to Ainsworth High School graduating with a teacher’s certificate. Louise then taught school for two years in rural schools around Wood Lake. On Nov. 29, 1947, at the Presbyterian Church in Valentine, Louise was united in marriage to George Allen Bloom of Wood Lake. Born to this union were two children: Rosita Louise Seagraves, Bridgeport, Tex.; George Allen Bloom, Jr., Amarillo, Tex. Louise worked for Northwestern Bell Telephone Co. 10 years and at St. Anthony’s Hospital in Amarillo for 15 years. She was a dedicated, faithful, loyal employee. The Westminster Presbyterian Church of Amarillo was her church home where worshipping her Savior was very important to her. Her pastors found her to be a special witness of her faith. She was totally dedicated to her family and friends. She gave her all to their needs and asked nothing in return. She was the epitome of being wife and mother. She was precious and the very best the Lord could have given us. She was preceded in death by her father, Bert Ernest Cozad; mother, Grace Mary Cozad; two brothers, John Cozad and Ronald Cozad from the Wood Lake community. Surviving Louise are her husband, George A. Bloom of Amarillo; two children, Rosita Louise Seagraves, Bridgeport,...

Grindrod, Mildred Miller – Obituary

Mildred M. Grindrod, 61, Kittitas, died Tuesday [December 3] morning at Kittitas Valley Community Hospital. She was born in Ainsworth, Neb., on Sept. 3, 1924. She and Owen Grindrod were married in Sumner on April 4, 1942. They came to the Kittitas Valley from Puyallup in 1944 and farmed in the Badger Pocket area. They moved to Kittitas in 1959 and operated the O&M Café for a number of years. Mrs. Grindrod had been employed as a cook at Husky House for the past five years. She was a member of the Kittitas Community Church and the Kittitas Booster Club, and a former member of the Kittitas School Board. Her husband preceded her in death on December 1, 1982. She is survived by three sons, John Grindrod and Rick Grindrod, both of Kittitas and Tracy Grindrod, serving with the U.S. army in Germany; three daughters, Judy Hughes of Wenatchee, and Mrs. Neil (Janet) Wilson and Bernice Ortega both of Kittitas; 11 grandchildren; her mother, Myrtle Miller of Puyallup; two brothers, Kenneth Miller of Portland and Darrell Miller of Puyallup and a sister. Daily Record, December 4, 1985 Contributed by: Shelli...

Bloom, Sedric Cleo, Jr. – Obituary

Cleo, “Junior,” as he was affectionately known, was born February 2, 1925 at LaPlata, Missouri. In the spring of the same year he and his family moved to a ranch south of Valentine, Nebraska. He attended country school and then graduated high school in Meadville, Pennsylvania where he lived with his Aunt Alpha Soupos. Three years later, 1946, he earned his degree in mechanical engineering from the University of Missouri Columbia. He loved music and singing so he attended Julliard School of Music in New York City, studying voice. He continued his studies at the University of Omaha School of Music, and the Denver Conservatory School of Music. He performed for many weddings and funerals. Jr. returned to Nebraska to engage in the ranching and cattle business with his father south of Wood Lake and later north of Ainsworth, Nebraska. Together they developed a premier, Registered Angus breeding herd. In 1956, he married the love of his life, Frances Hans Wells. Together they purchased and successfully operated Stilwell Insurance Agency. Junior sold the agency in the mid 1990s and retired to enjoy his love for golf, shooting, and fishing with his many close friends, who he holds dearly. “Uncle Jr.” was preceded in death by his wife, Frances, and his parents, Cleo and Esther. He is survived by one brother, George Bloom, of Amarillo, Texas and also Mike Bloom of Lewiston, Montana, Waldi Bloom, and son Ty of Billings, Montana, nephew, George Allen Bloom of Amarillo, Texas, niece Roseta Bloom Seagraves of Bridgeport, Texas and her family. He had many close friends and acquaintances who will miss his cheery...

Pin It on Pinterest