Maurice L. Alden, a son of the late Judge Henry L. Alden, had since his admission to the bar in 1898 become a prominent member of the Kansas City legal profession, and inherits many of the enviable qualities that distinguished his father.
He was born in old Wyandotte, now Kansas City, Kansas, October 10, 1873, was educated in the public schools, graduating from the Kansas City Kansas High School in 1891 and from the Kansas State University in 1895. At the age of twenty-one he became secretary to Congressman O. L. Miller, who represented the Second Congressional District of Kansas in Congress, and two years later was made assistant secretary to United States Senator Lucien Baker from Kansas. It was while he was at Washington, D. C., as secretary to Congressman Miller and assistant secretary to Senator Baker that he attended law school. The sessions of the Columbian University (now George Washington University) were held at night, and so during the day he attended to his duties as secretary and at night attended the law school. He graduated from the law school in 1897. He left Washington in 1898 and entered the law office of Lathrop, Morrow, Fox & Moore, one of the large law firms of Kansas City, Missouri. He was admitted to the bar in Missouri and in Kansas in 1898. After practicing one year in Kansas City, Missouri, he opened an office in Kansas City, Kansas, where he had practiced ever since. He was a member of the firm of Alden, McFadden & Alden from 1900 to 1901. Since February 1, 1901, he had been associated with Edwin S. McAnany under the firm name of McAnany & Alden and had enjoyed a large and lucrative practice.
Mr. Alden was the first public administrator in the State of Kansas, being appointed public administrator of Wyandotte County by Governor Bailey upon the taking effect of the act creating that office in Wyandotte County June 1, 1903. At the expiration of his appointive term he was re-elected, serving until January, 1907.
Mr. Alden had not only been very active in the practice of his profession, but had distinguished himself in the business world as well, being a director and officer in several large and successful manufacturing and financial institutions. He is a thorough business man, and is ready to support any movement for the advancement of his home city. He is a member of the Chamber of Commerce, the Rotary Club, the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, and he and his wife are members of and take much interest in the affairs of the First Congregational Church. He is a trustee of Washburn College at Topeka. On October 10, 1901, he married Miss Edna W. Warkentin of Newton, Kansas. They have two children, John and Bernhard.