Frank A. Moss. For over thirty years the name Moss had been significant of the finest integrity and ability in connection with the banking affairs of St. Marys. The First National Bank of that city is practically a product of the financial genius of the Moss family. The founder and for many years the president was the late John A. Moss, and that office is now filed by his son, Frank A. Moss.
The late John A. Moss was born in London, England, May 5, 1846, and had an experience that identified him with the frontier towns of Kansas. He grew up in his native city, and learned and followed the occupation of bookkesper there. When he was twenty-one years of age he landed at New York City on May 5, 1867, and at the time was on his way to California. He proceeded across the continent only as far as Fort Harker, now known as Kanopolis, Kansas. There he found employment in the Quarter-master’s Department of the United States army under Colonel Inman. From this Government service he found his next station in the Kaw Valley National Bank of Topeka, Kansas, and gained further experience in banking as an employe of the Adams Bank of Topeka and later the Maston Bank of Kansas City, Missouri.
Removing to Clay Center, Kansas, John A. Moss and John Streater established the Streater State Bank, which was subsequently merged with the Farmers and Merehants Bank. Mr. John Moss was cashier of that institution until 1885, when he came to St. Marys and founded the First National Bank. He was its first cashier and subsequently became the controlling stockholder and filled the office of president until his death on June 17, 1905.
The First National Bank of St. Marys is an institution with an enviable record. It had a capital stock of $50,000, surplus of $10,000 and undivided profits of $6,000. The present officers of the bank are: Frank A. Moss, president; Mrs. L. F. Moss, widow of the late John A. Moss, vice president; and E. H. Bushey, cashier. John A. Moss was a republican in politics and was a Knights Templar Mason.
His widow, who is still living at St. Marys, bore the maiden name of Louise Frances Berlin. She was born in Latrobe, Pennsylvania, in 1856. There were only two children, the older being Ada, wife of J. J. Graham, who owned and conducts the Specialty Printing Company of Kansas City, Missouri.
Frank A. Moss, only son of his father, was born at Clay Center, Kansas, April 17, 1882, but had lived at St. Marys since he was three years of age. He attended the public schools there, graduating from high school in 1899, and took his collegiate work in Washburn, from which college he holds the degree A. B., granted in 1903. On leaving college Mr. Moss at once returned to St. Marys and was given the post of assistant cashier in his father’s bank. From that he was promoted to cashier and in January, 1917, entered upon his duties as president.
Mr. Moss was formerly an alderman of St. Marys and under the commission charter holds the office of Commissioner of Finance and Utility. He is a republican and is active in the Masonic Order. He is affiliated with Pottawatomie Lodge No. 52, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, at St. Marys, Wamego Chapter No. 53, Royal Arch Masons, and Topeka Consistory No. 1 of the Scottish Rite, Besides his home on Palmer Street Mr. Moss owned a farm of ninety acres in Wabaunsee County.
September 14, 1904, at Topeka, he married Miss Edith Guibor, daughter of Dr. C. H. and Fannie (Inmsa) Guibor. Her father was a successful Topeka physleian, who died in that city in 1901. He was a widely known specialist in diseases of the nose, throat and lungs. Mrs. Guibor is still living in Topeka. Mr. and Mrs. Moss have two children: Francis Eleanor, born October 2, 1905; and Frank Berlin, born September 28, 1908.