James E. Hyett, M. D., who had been successfully engaged in practice at St. Marys since 1909, came to Kansas with his parents in 1875. He early learned the lessons of self reliance, and depended upon his own efforts to acquire both a college and a professional training.
He was born in Belmont County, Ohio, April 18, 1870. He attended the St. Marys public school, and afterwards was a student in the Academic Department of Washburn College, from which he graduated in 1894. He received his degree of B. S. from Washburn in 1897. Before going to college Doctor Hyett taught school four years in Pottawatomie County and for one year was principal of the high school at Mankato, Kansas. After much hard work he was able to gratify his ambition to enter medical college, and took his training in the Northwestern University Medical School of Chicago, from which he graduated M. D. in 1904. The following year he spent as an interne in a railroad hospital in New Mexico. Doctor Hyett practiced four years at LaCrosse, Kansas, and then in 1909 removed to St. Marys, where he had been accorded a profitable general medical and surgical practice. His offices are in the Erbacher Building. He also owned his home on Eighth Street.
Doctor Hyett is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, is a republican in politics and is affiliated with Pottawatomie Lodge No. 52, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, at St. Marys. He is a former member of the Pottawatomie County Medical Society, the Goldeu Belt Medical Society and the American Medical Association.
In 1908 at Salina, Kansas, he married Miss Mary M. Bellport, daughter of A. J. and Mary (Bower) Bellport. Her parents reside at LaCrosse, Kansas, her father being a retired merchant. Doctor and Mrs. Hyett have one son, James E., Jr., born March 17, 1913.