M. Morgan, of the firm of Butler & Morgan, grocers, was born in Scott County, Ia., in 1846. He enlisted in May 1864, in the 44th Ia. regiment, and was discharged in the autumn of the same year. He re-enlisted in Jan., 1865, in the 20th, Ia., Co. G.; was transferred to the 29th Ia. regiment, and in Sept. 1865, returned to Iowa, and engaged in farming. He located at Mapleton in 1879, and entered his present business in Jan., 1881.