M. D. Clifford, Circuit Judge of the Sixth District, was born in Ottumwa, Iowa, in 1859.
He came to Oregon in 1870, with his mother, settling in Grant County, and is virtually a self-educated man. In 1880 he began reading law in the office of Hill & Mays, at The Dalles and was admitted to the bar in 1882.
Returning to Grant County he began the general practice of his profession. In 1884 he was elected district attorney of the Sixth Judicial District, and again in 1886 at the expiration of the latter term he resumed general practice until January 6, 1890, when he was appointed to fill the vacancy caused by the death of Judge L. B. Ison.
In June 1890, he was elected to fill the unexposed term, and in June 1892, was re-elected for the full term. Judge Clifford has always taken a great interest in the fraternal orders, being a member of the Odd Fellows, Elks, Woodmen and Masons, having been Grand Master of the State in the last named order in 1896.
In 1885 he married Miss Edith Hazeltine, a daughter of Judge Hazeltine, of Canyon City, and has two children, Harold, aged eleven, and Era, age nine. Judge Clifford is a man of sterling ability and attainments, and although an old school democrat, his career, on the bench has won for him the respect and confidence of members of all parties.