Geo. W. Hayes stands high among the voting attorneys Eastern Oregon, and has established a foothold in Harney County from which it would be difficult to eradicate possessing as he does talent, energy, ambition and industry.
He was born In Marion County, Iowa in 1859, coming across the plains with his parents in 1862, in an ox team. They located at Eugene, Lane County, where he stayed until 1874, having at intervals attended the log schoolhouse. Moving to Lake County, he kept up his studies, and at the age of 18 began teaching school, working also at the carpenter’s trade. In 1887 he began reading law, and in 1889 entered the office of C. A. Sweek, at Canyon City, and also read a year in Thornton Williams’ office.
May 1891, be was admitted to the bar, and began active practice at Harney City, Oregon. In 1893 he moved to Burns. He has always been an active Republican, and takes a great interest in the welfare of its party.
He is married to Miss Annie Alderson, of Harney, and has two boys.