Green Lee Phillippe was born April 11, 1849, in Bartholomew County, Indiana, and died at his home south of town on September 4, 1912, aged 63 years, 4 months and 23 days.
The deceased came to Iowa with his parents, Geo. and Agnes Phillippe during the spring of 1851, and located in Cedar Township, Mahaska county, three miles south of Fremont. He was left an orphan at the age of three years.
On February 24, 1870, he was married to Mary Jane White and to this union were born four children, two boys and two girls, namely, E.W. Phillipe, of Ottumwa, Asa G. Phillipe, south of Fremont, Mrs. H. B. Fellers, Oskaloosa, and Mrs. J. W. Dinsmore, south of town.
Shortly after being married he located on the farm settled on by his father under the preemption act, and has lived there since, except about three years during the time he was schooling his children.
He was a loving husband and father, entirely devoted to his family and especially to his sixteen grandchildren. While not a member of any church he admitted his faith in the Supreme Ruler and had always lived in righteousness.
Lee Phillippe was one of the sturdy pioneers of this township and he was known to every resident as a man of sterling worth whose word was as good as a bond. His honesty in all dealings gained him lasting friends and made a success of his life, so that when the time came when he was traveling down the valley he had accumulated enough of this world’s goods to live in comfort with his helpmate of forty years. He was kind and gentle and charitable to a fault. No man can recall a wrong action performed or a word spoken out of a spirit of kindness. Such a character was not wanting for friends any many there were who viewed with moistened eye the form in death which they loved and revered so well.
To the wife and sons and daughters, burdened with a load of sorrow, the tender condolences of the entire community are offered.
The funeral took place Friday afternoon from the late home of the deceased at 2:00 o’clock, services being conducted by Rev. George Filmer, of the Fremont M. E. church, and interment in Cedar township cemetery.
Those from a distance who attended the funeral were: Mr. and Mrs. Harry White, of Kirksville, Mo., Mr. and Mrs. C. Q. White, of Fenton, Iowa, Webb White, of Bloomfield, Iowa, Mr. and Mrs. J.P. Bloomfield and Mrs. Fred Roberts, of Monroe, Iowa, Mr. and Mrs. Geo. W. Bloom, of La Platte, Mo., Mr. and Mrs. Frank Rockey and Geo. Watts and family, of Hedrick. [Pictured below, Lee is sitting down]
Oskaloosa Saturday Globe, 1912
Contributed by: Shelli Steedman