ORLANDO D. HINSHAW. It has been found that the better class of druggists, everywhere, are men of scientific attainments and high integrity, whose lives are devoted to the welfare of their fellow-men in supplying the best of remedies and purest medicinal agents of known value, in accordance with physicians’ prescriptions and scientific formula, Usually the greatest reward for long years of study and many hours of daily toil in their vocation is the earning of a fair living, with the satisfaction which arises from the knowledge of the benefits conferred upon their patrons and the assistance rendered the medical profession, Among the men of Madison County who have assisted in making the drug business one of the most honorable of callings, Orlando D. Hinshaw, of Elwood, takes prominent rank, Since 1905 he has been conducting his present establishment, at No, 212 South Anderson street, and during this time he has firmly established himself in the confidence and good will of his towns-people. Mr. Hinshaw was born at Sheridan, Hamilton County, Indiana, October 21, 1875, and is a son of Isaac N. and Anna (Furnace) Hinshaw.
John Hinshaw, the paternal grandfather of Orlando D. Hinshaw, was born in North Carolina and there married Sallie Commons, who was also a native of the Old North State. About 1842 they settled on a farm in Hamilton County, Indiana, and there both passed away in the faith of the Friends’ Church, Their children were as follows Isaac, Thomas, Andrew, Dugan C., William E., Martha, Sena, Lydia, and three who died in infancy, On the maternal side, Mr. Hinshaw is descended from Joseph and Patty (Compton) Furnace, natives of Ohio and early settlers of Hamilton County, Indiana, where they carried on agricultural pursuits until their deaths when advanced in years.
Isaac N. Hinshaw was born in North Carolina, and was five years of age when he accompanied his parents to Indiana, his education being secured in the public schools of Hamilton County, Following the vocation of his father, he adopted farming in early life, and for some time has resided at Sheridan, Indiana, where he reared his family, He married Anna Furnace, who was born in Ohio, and they became the parents of four children, namely: Ella J., who became the wife of T. C. Owen, of Carmel, Indiana; Lua B., who is the wife of John H. Glaze, of Chamberland, South Dakota; Orlando D.; and Eula, who married Archie Seward, of Tyrone, Oklahoma.
Orlando D. Hinshaw was reared in Hamilton County, Indiana, where he attended the public schools, and subsequently went to Ridge Farm, Illinois, where during the next four years he studied pharmacy, Returning to Sheridan, he purchased a store, in which he continued for a few years, and then went to Darlington, Indiana, where he was the proprietor of an establishment for two years, At that time he decided to try his ability as an agriculturist, and accordingly traded his store for a small farm in Montgomery County, but this he afterwards sold, Since 1902 he has made his home in Elwood, and here, in 1905, he bought his present pharmacy, He has been successful in this venture, has built up a steadily-increasing trade, and is known as one- of his locality’s influential and substantial citizens, With his family, he takes a prominent part in the work of the Methodist Episcopal Church, where he is treasurer of the board of trustees. He has likewise been prominent in fraternal circles, being master of Quincy Lodge No. 230, F. & A. M.; and a member of Elwood Chapter No, 109, R. A. M.; Sheridan Lodge No, 176, Knights of Pythias; and the local lodge of the Modern Woodmen of America, He is not a politician, but has rendered valuable service to his community in assisting to advance movements for the general welfare, and everywhere he is recognized as a public-spirited, earnest and progressive citizen.
On October 23, 1897, Mr. Hinshaw was united in marriage with Miss Cora Perry, who was born in Sheridan, Indiana, daughter of James L. and Josephine (Lindley) Perry. One child has been born to this union Eugene.