LEWIS D. KINNARD. Few of the farmers of Fall Creek Township, in Madison County, Indiana, have made a better showing from a similar beginning than Lewis Dunwoody Kinnard. He has gained prominence in the agricultural sections of the County as a farmer and stock raiser, as well as being a feeder and shipper of some extent, and has a fine place of one hundred and sixty acres under cultivation. He takes his place among the representative citizens of the Township, and enjoys the esteem and friendship of a large circle of the best citizenship of the Township.
Lewis D. Kinnard was born on the farm east of the farm on which he now resides on September 17, 1865, and is the son of John H. and Elizabeth Clay (Dunwoody) Kinnard. Both were natives of Chester County, Pennsylvania, who came to Madison County, Indiana, in the spring of 1858, locating in this Township, where they lived until 1831, when the father died Nov. 19, 1891, the death of the mother following on January 16, 1892. They were the parents of nine children, seven of whom are now living. Lewis D. is the youngest of the family.
The home farm and the schools of the community constituted the early environment and influence of Lewis D. Kinnard, and after he had finished with the district schools he was entered at the Danville (Ind.) Central Normal. he finished his studies there in 1888, after which he taught for four years in Madison County, a work in which he was especially successful and popular. The business of farming, however, proved snore attractive to him, and he gave up his school work to enter into agricultural activities following the death of his father in 1891. Since that time Mr. Kinnard has continued in the business 7 and has made an excellent success of the work. General farming, cattle raising, feeding and shipping have constituted his main interests, and he has gained success and prosperity in the prosecution of the work. His hundred and sixty acres in section twenty-five is recognized as one of the finest places in the Township, and stands for a generous application of genuine hard work on the part of Mr. Kinnard, formerly known as the Swain farm.
On September 4, 1889, Mr. Kinnard was married to Miss Della L. Downs. She is the daughter of Isaac and Jane G. Downs and was born in Champaign County, Illinois, coming to Madison County in 1886. To Mr. and Mrs. Kinnard three children have been born, named as follows: Charles D., born on September 14, 1891, is a graduate of the Pendleton high school and now a student in Winona Agricultural College; Helen J., born January 20, 1899, is a student in the high school; and Hugh, born February 3, 1902, is also attending the schools of the home community.
Mr. Kinnard is a member of the Society of Friends and fraternally is associated as a member with Madison Lodge, No. 44, A. F. & A. M., and Sicilian Lodge, No. 234, Knights of Pythias, of which he is Past Chancellor and a member of the Grand Lodge. He is a Republican and has given good service to the party in his district. Mr. Kinnard is one of the broad-minded and liberally disposed men who mean so much in any community, and whose citizenship is always of the highest order and worth to their town and County. He, with his family, enjoys the esteem and regard of a large circle of friends and acquaintances in Fall Creek Township, where they have long been known for their many excellent qualities. The family are members of the Society of Friends.