JOHN T. STARR. Adams Township can boast of some of the best regulated farms in Madison County, and here are also to be found some of the most progressive agriculturists of this part of the state. Many of these men have been the architects of their own fortunes, and, appreciating their success because it has been self-gained, take a pardonable degree of pride in their own achievements and those of their community, and are striving earnestly in behalf of the public welfare. Prominent among this class stands John comas Starr, who has not only won an enviable position in agriculture, but has also rendered his County signal service in the capacity of sheriff. Mr. Starr was born in. Henry County, Indiana, November 5, 1852, and is a son of Wiley and Dorcas (Vickery) Starr. His father, a native of South Carolina, migrated to Henry County, here established himself as a farmer, and passed away when John T. was a child. Mrs. Starr was remarried in 1860, but her second husband died four years later. Three children were born to Wiley and Dorcas Starr, namely: John T.; Joel D., who served in the Union army throughout the Civil War, subsequently becoming a farmer of Anders0n Township, where he died in April, 1912, one of his community’s most highly respected citizens; and Elizabeth, who is the wife of Richard Graham, who was also a soldier in the Union ranks.
John T. Starr was educated in the district schools of Henry County, and was there reared to manhood, continuing to reside in the vicinity of his native place until March, 1882, when he came to Madison County and located in Fall Creek Township, near Pendleton. Here he commenced to feed and ship stock, and his operations, commenced in a humble manner, soon grew to large proportions, and he was recognized as one of the substantial men of his community. Since 1898 he has devoted the greater part of his attention to general farming in Adams Township, and is now the owner of a valuable, well-cultivated property. He has always been ready to adopt modern methods and ideas in his work, understands his business thoroughly, and because of perseverance, far-sightedness and good management has been uniformly successful in all of his ventures. In his political views he is a Republican with progressive tendencies. He was three times nominated in convention without opposition for the office of sheriff and became his party’s nominee on another occasion, and served in that capacity from 1894 to 1898, giving the people of Madison County an excellent administration and bringing to the discharge of his official duties the same enthusiasm and well-directed effort that have made him successful in his business affairs. He belongs to Sicilian Lodge, No. 234, Knights of Pythias; has been connected with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows since 1872, and has twice been noble grand of Mechanicsburg Lodge; and is also prominent in Masonry, being a member of Madison Lodge No. 44, F. & A. M., Pendleton Chapter No. 51, R. A. M,, Pendleton Council, R. & S. M., and Anderson Commandery. In all of. these he has a wide acquaintance and numerous sincere friends.
Mr. Starr was married to Miss Mary Ann Pring, who was born and educated in Henry County, Indiana, and three children were born to this union, of whom two are living in 1913: James M., born April 21, 1875, in Henry County, who served four years as deputy sheriff under his father, and is now engaged in the manufacturing business at Anderson; and J. Ward, born in Madison County, who is a graduate of the common and high schools of Anderson and an Indiana University student now teaching in Madison County; James M., was married to Miss Maude Aiman, a daughter of Benj. Aiman of Pendleton, and they have two children, Frances and Morris.