GEORGE W. PETTIGREW. From an inheritance of five and a half acres of land, George W. Pettigrew has increased his holdings in Madison County in recent years until today he has a goodly acreage of two hundred and sixty-two and a half acres of the finest land to be found in this section of the state, all of which is under cultivation and which yields its owner an excellent income, Mr. Pettigrew has been a resident of this Township all his life, and was born here on January 8, 1858, the son of Samuel J. and Mary J. (Tingley) Pettigrew.
Samuel J. Pettigrew was born in Rockbridge County, Virginia, February 15, 1827, and his wife was a native of the state of Ohio, born in Greene County, in 1832, Both are now deceased. The father came to Greene County, Ohio, in his young manhood, and there met and married Mary Tingley, after which they came to Madison County, Indiana, From 1852 until 1862 they lived in this County, then returned to Ohio and settled in Greene County, The year 1870 saw their return to these parts, where they passed the remaining years of their lives. The father died August 10, 1874, but the mother survived until March 15, 1893. They became the parents of ten children, of which number eight are yet living. Those who survive are named as follows Mary E., the widow of Jacob Newfarmer; William H., of Whitely County, Indiana; David M., of Missouri; James J., of Hancock County, Indiana; Samuel A., of Anderson, Indiana; Francis M., in the regular army of the Philippines, with the rank of lieutenant; Charles E., of Madison County, Indiana; George W., of this review.
George W. Pettigrew was reared in Green Township, and all save eight years of his life have been passed here, He was trained in the common schools of the community and until he reached his legal majority remained on the home place: He then took up farming on his own responsibility, and his life since then has been devoted to that industry. As was mentioned in another paragraph, he inherited five and a half acres of land, but he was not content with an acreage of that size, and today a fine farm of two hundred and sixty acres yields generously to his skill in husbandry, General farming and stock raising constitute his business, and as a breeder of Shorthorn cattle, part of which are registered stock, he is well known throughout the County, as the result of his twelve years of activity in that line, He feeds and ships more than a carload of cattle yearly, while his thoroughbred stock finds market in Indianapolis, Mr. Pettigrew in 1907 erected one of the finest country homes in the County, It is a commodious place of thirteen rooms, with ample basement, and is built on modern lines, calculated to produce a comfortable and homelike place. When completed, the home cost him something like $5300, The place is equipped with a hot water heating plant and is furnished throughout in quartered oak and black walnut.
On November 20, 1879, Mr. Pettigrew married Miss Lavina Whelchel, who was born in Fall Creek Township, Hamilton County, Indiana, on September 20, 1862, and is a daughter of Abraham and Eliza Allen, the former born in Hamilton County, Indiana, on May 28, 1836, and the latter in the same County, on August 31, 1835, She died on August 4, 1907, but the father is still living, and makes his home in Hamilton County, where they passed their lives. They became the parents of eight children, as follows: Alva, who has a family of five children; Fairy B., the wife of Frank Bixler; Roy; Delia, the wife of Jesse Partain; Wayne; Lulu; Grover C.; Irene.
The family are members of the German Baptist church and hold their membership at Beach Grove, Mr. Pettigrew being one of the directors of the church, and a leading member. He is a Progressive Democrat, and one of the best known men in his community, where he is esteemed and respected for the many excellent traits that characterize him.