Charles B. Johnson, M. D. Valuable work in his profession and an unusual variety of experience contribute to make the career of Dr. C. B. Johnson one of note in Champaign County, where he has lived for the past forty-six years. Doctor Johnson is a veteran Union soldier, is grandson of a Revolutionary soldier, and’ during the half century since he came out of the Northern army he has been in the active practice of medicine and is still a competent member of his profession and one of Champaign County’s most useful citizens.
Doctor Johnson was born at Pocahontas in Bond County, Illinois, October 8, 1843. His grandfather, Charles Johnson, was a native of North Carolina, and went with the troops of that state to battle against the British armies and the Tories in the times of the struggle for independence. Doctor Johnson’s father was James Johnson, an early settler in Illinois and a farmer. In 1849 he went out to California when that was the mecca of gold seekers and adventurers from all parts of the world, and he died soon after his arrival on the gold coast. James Johnson married Elizabeth Jane Volentine.
Doctor Johnson spent his early life on a farm, attended the public schools, and early showed a tendency and desire for studious pursuits.
On August 7, 1862, he enlisted in Company F of the One Hundred Thirtieth Illinois Infantry. He was with that regiment in all its campaigns, marches and battles for more than three years. He was finally mustered out in August, 1865, several months after the close of actual hostilities. On coming out of the army in 1865, Doctor Johnson continued the medical studies he had previously begun, and in 1868 he began practice at Chatham in Sangamon County, Illinois. In 1871 he removed to Champaign County and soon afterward, ‘in 1872, he completed the regular course of study in the Medical College of Ohio, now the medical department of the University of Cincinnati, from which he was graduated with the M. D. degree.
For the past thirty-eight years Doctor Johnson has practiced with home and offices in the city of Champaign, and he has become widely recognized as one of the leading physicians of the county. For many years he served on the Champaign County Pension Board, and he !has recently accepted the appointment as medical member of one of the Champaign County exemption boards. He was a member of the Illinois State Board of Health for eight years, from 1897 to 1905, and for two years was president of the board.
Perhaps the work to which he has been most devoted in recent years has been that of the Champaign County Anti-Tuberculosis Health League. He is now president of this League and is also a member and president of the Board of Directors which has in charge the construction of the Champaign County Tuberculosis Sanitarium. In politics Doctor Johnson has always been staunchly aligned with the Republican party.
Doctor Johnson married January 1, 1874, Maria L. Lewis, of Chatham, Illinois. Their children are: Lewis W., born April 15, 1875; Charles Sunderland, born May 12, 1877; James Edward, born March 10, 1879; Fred Volentine, born December 3, 1880; Alice Sarah, born February 26, 1884; and George Thompson, born March 6, 1886. The children all grew up in the atmosphere of the university city and they are all graduates of the University of Illinois.
Doctor Johnson has devoted considerable time to literary pursuits, and has just published a very commendable book entitled “Muskets and Mediums,” which is receiving a flattering patronage, and promises to fulfill every expectation of its author. He is an active member of the State Historical Society and is much interested in local history.