One of the capable county commissioners of Oneida County is Joseph Brook Scarborough, of Franklin. He was born in England, September 11, 1851, and is a son of John and Elizabeth (Brook) Scarborough. When ten years of age he came with his mother to the United States, crossing the Atlantic in 1861, in a sailing vessel which, after a voyage of six weeks, reached the American port. They then crossed the plains and located at Lehi, Utah, thirty miles south of Salt Lake City, and there the mother remained while the son went to Dixie, where he worked for a year on a farm for his board and clothes. In 1863 he came with the family to Franklin. The settlers were then living in little log houses, built in the form of a hollow square, the backs of the houses forming a part of the wall of the fort.
Mr. Scarborough remained with his family until nineteen years of age, at which time he was happily married to Miss Mary A. Foster. He then located land for himself, built a house and began his domestic life in Franklin. Later he became the owner of one hundred and twenty-five acres of land a half-mile north of the town, and also has fifteen acres adjoining the corporation limits, while in the town of Franklin, on the principal street, he has two corner lots, on which he has built a very nice brick cottage. He has been an industrious and successful farmer and his labors have been crowned with success.
Unto Mr. and Mrs. Scarborough have been born ten children, eight of whom are living, namely: Annie, wife of Soren Peterson, of Logan; Rhoda, who was a most lovable and beautiful woman, became the wife of Samuel Wright, but died soon after the birth of their child, her death proving a great loss to her husband, family and friends; Charles; Letta, an accomplished schoolteacher; Joseph; Teressa; Effa Roy, who died in infancy; Esrom; Leland and Relta. They are all members of the Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints. Mr. Scarborough is very active in the church work, has been assistant Sunday-school superintendent of the Oneida stake, and has served his church on a mission to Illinois and to Indiana in 1887-8.
In politics he has been a life-long Democrat, and was postmaster for four years under the administration of President Cleveland. He has been a school trustee for six years, has taken a very deep and commendable interest in educational matters and was largely instrumental in securing the fine new brick schoolhouse that now adorns the town of Franklin and is a credit to the enterprise of its citizens. In 1896 his fellow townsmen, recognizing his worth and ability, elected him to the important position of county commissioner, and so well did he discharge his duties that he was reelected in 1898 and is therefore the present incumbent. He is also chairman of the village board of trustees. Mr. Scarborough is a loyal and enterprising citizen and a gentleman of the highest integrity and worth.