For six years a distinguished member of the medical profession of Boise, honored and respected in every class of society. Dr. C. A. S. Prosser is numbered among the leading citizens of his community. In the great competitive struggle of life, when each must enter the field and fight his way to the front, or else be overtaken by disaster of circumstance or place, there is ever particular interest attaching to the life of one who has turned the tide of success and has shown his ability to cope with others in their rush for the coveted goal. This Dr. Prosser has done and his high standing in his profession is an unmistakable indication of his ability.
A native of Ontario, Canada, he was born in Lunenburg, on the 29th of January 1864. For three generations the family has resided in Canada, but the ancestry can be traced back to England. The great-grandfather of our subject located in New England, but during the war of the Revolution, owing to his loyalty to the king, he removed to Canada, accompanied by his family, which included Jesse Prosser, the Doctor’s grandfather. The latter fought on the side of Great Britain in the war of 1812, and his son, Henry Calvin Prosser, participated in the war of 1837, in Canada, fighting at Prescott, at what was called the Windmill battle. He married Ann Eliza Wade, of Fort Covington, New York, a lady of English ancestry, who died in 1863. Henry Prosser, however, is still living, at the advanced age of seventy-nine years, and through his active business career successfully carried on agricultural pursuits.
Dr. Prosser is the youngest of a family of six children, and was reared on his father’s farm, while in the common schools of his native land he acquired his elementary education. At the age of eighteen years he removed to Le Mars, Iowa, where he began the study of medicine under the direction of his brother. Dr. W. O. Prosser, a graduate of McGill Medical College, of Montreal, Canada. He also won the degrees of L. R. C. P. and L. R. C. S., of Edinburg. In March 1887, C. A. S. Prosser was graduated at Bellevue Hospital Medical College, of New York City, after which he practiced his profession for six months in Potsdam, New York. He then took charge of his brother’s business while the latter took a much needed rest and upon the return of his brother, Dr. Prosser, of this review, opened an office on his own account in Marcus, Iowa, where he soon built up an excellent business. In 1893 he entered the Post Graduate Medical School, of Chicago, and then, on account of his health, he determined not to return to Iowa, but to try the climate of Idaho. Accordingly he came to Boise, where he has built up an extensive and lucrative practice. He holds rank with the ablest physicians and surgeons of the state, and by his study and investigation and the perusal of the medical journals he keeps in constant touch with the profession and the advance which is carrying it forward toward perfection. In connection with his private practice, he also occupies the position of physician and surgeon to the Wesleyan Hospital of Boise.
The Doctor occupies a pleasant suite of rooms in the Pioneer Building, and has a beautiful residence at No. 316 Bannock street. He was married July 3, 1889, to Miss Clara Raymond, of Ontario, and they now have two daughters, Beatrice Gertrude and Laura Clarissa. The parents are valued members of the Methodist church and take an active part in its work. Dr. Prosser inspires personal friendships of unusual strength, and all who know him have the highest admiration for his good qualities of head and heart.