The following data is extracted from Pulaski County, Georgia - School Systems.
In the year 1889 the town of Hawkinsville had a number of private schools. The city council in 1890, considering a change in the system of the school elected the following trustees:
Judge Jacob Watson
P. H. Lovejoy
E. J. Henry
This board delegated Judge Watson to go to the Chautauquuar Lithia Springs to inquire for a superintendent. The board was then put in communication with N. E. Ware of Thomson, Ga., who was later elected.
The following teachers were then elected:
Geo. R. Glover
Mrs. B. F. Parsons
Miss Ida Watson
Mrs. C. L. Brown
Mrs. Simmons, music teacher.
The two-story, building belonging to Dr. A. A. Smith was rented and remodeled to be used for the opening of the new school. This building was used for two years. The first year the commencement exercises were held under a brush arbor of the building. The next year the commencement exercises were held in a rented tent near the old building, and many of the older citizens will remember the collapse of this tent at that time. About this time the citizens began to talk of a new school building, and the bond question was agitated. This at first raised quite a stir, but was soon quieted, and school bonds were voted.
We were yet in the old building. A lot was selected in the old cotton patch near where stood the old town academy. When it was known this place was selected the teachers and pupils went to the cotton patch of about eight acres and laid off a bicycle track, and marked places for setting trees on both sides of the track. The trees can now be seen around the present school building.
Many men and women who were pupils then can still remember how anxious they were to get in the new building. We thought the workmen made very slow progress. We wanted to hurry them up. But finally it was finished and we moved in.
The public school system was organized with the following faculty:
N. E. Ware, superintendent;
Geo. R. Glover, principal
J. H. Ware
Miss Edna Roberts
Mrs. Cal. Brown
Mrs. Evie Glover. We then arranged for the free book system, the first in Georgia. The original seven trustees still held their positions, and put the public school system on a firm foundation. The whole town was enthusiastic over the situation.
Source: Pulaski County, Georgia - School Systems