Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
In the pioneer days of Pulaski County there came a family from North Carolina seeking new and undeveloped fields of endeavor. Settling east of the Ocmulgee River, they tilled available lands, also clearing and occupying lands heretofore unused, visualizing a vast agricultural territory that would attract other settlers who desired a simple and productive life.
From such hardy forbears came R. F. DeLamar, born February 24, 1859. At the death of his father, Frank, as he was known, became the head of the family and remained on the farm, the sole support of his mother, brothers, and sister. In early manhood he moved to Hawkinsville, engaging in the general mercantile business. A success in business, he married Emmie S. Burch, the daughter of Reverend and Mrs. E. A. Burch, who were also pioneers of Pulaski. From this union were born nine children, as follows: Richard F.
(married Mabel Fitzgerald), James E. (deceased), John B. (married Josephine Fleming), Zoe L. (married Dr. A. R. Rozar), Emmie S. (married 0. C. Amos), Mary E. (married J. M. Wynne), Annie Louise (married R. W. Lynch), Lucy L. (married Sidney Hall), Helen E. (married J. L. Peters).
Continuing his business career, he successively became a hardware merchant, finally engaging in the automotive and implement field. His business life was highly successful and he retired from active participation in business in 1933. Due to his long association with the business world, he is probably the best known man in Pulaski County and adjoining territory. He has been active in fraternal and religious circles, serving on the Board of Stewards of the Methodist Church for a long term.
In early manhood he was a member of the City Council and in later life was mayor of the city for two years, and with the establishment of the commission form of government was one of the first commissioners elected, serving three years as chairman of the board, and seven years as member of that body. Perhaps the signal achievement of his public service, from a business point of view, was the institution of financial methods in city government that effected substantial savings for the citizens by tax reductions. An ardent supporter of education, he gave his time and talent to the upbuilding of an accredited school system. Thoroughly civic-minded and progressive, he has been a factor in the growth of Hawkinsville from a country village to a little city with a distinct metropolitan air.