One of the most interesting of the pioneer citizens of Pulaski was James Ferdinand Fleming. His parents, James and Elizabeth Leonard Fleming, came from South Carolina in 1855 and settled at “Seven Miles Farm,” where he was born on June 8, 1858. When quite young he learned his first lesson in thrift by hauling logs to pay his tuition to private school. He proved himself a good student and won a certificate of merit. He began business as a farmer, but in 1883 he entered the mercantile business, which he continued successfully in the same building until his death. His one recreation was fishing. He gave most of his time to the Methodist Church, of which he was a steward for over thirty years.
His love of singing overshadowed all other of his religious activities, he being Sunday school director for twenty-five years, and he was known throughout the State as a religious singer.
His wife was Emily Gibson, daughter of Tilton Eugene Gibson and Julia Kenan. She was born in Quincy, Florida, October 27, 1863, and died in Hawkinsville, April 25, 1924. She was also a member of the Methodist Church, and -was an outstanding Bible student. She served as president of the Woman’s Missionary Society, as president of the League, as teacher in Sunday school for twenty years, and as vice president of the Woman’s Christian Temperance Union. Being a direct descendant of Major Nehemiah Tilton of Delaware, she was a charter member of the Hawkinsville Chapter, D. A. R., and also a member of the U. D. C. Chapter.
Two children, Edith Josephine (Mrs. J. B. DeLamar) and Frederick Leonard, were born to this couple. Their grandchildren are John, Leonard, and Robert DeLamar.
On November 27, 1932, while standing before his Sunday school class, preparing to teach, Mr. Fleming suddenly passed to his eternal reward.