Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
Apparently the name Spracklin had other forms: Spartling, Sprackling. In English or Welsh it meant “the one with the crooked legs.” As far as known to the writer, some early Spracklins on English records were of the Canterbury Catholic Church, Canterbury, County Kent, England. The church records there show a Robert, baptized 1645, son of Spratling; Adam, baptized 1653, son of Robert Spratling. Heraldic arms were granted in 1619 to Leonardus Sprackling, Rob’tus Sprackling, and Adam Sprackling, of Thanet, Co. Kent.
Possibly this Robert Spracklin was an early ancestor of Peter Spracklin who came to America in 1823. Peter’s youngest son George named one of his sons George Robert. The genealogy which follows begins with this Peter Spracklin who came in 1823–seven generations back from the author. The first Peter who came was a tanner–a job of preparing hides for shoes or boots which took 18 to 24 months to prepare.
Arms created in 1619 for individual at that time.
Arms.–Sa, a saltier erm. betw. four leopards’ faces or.
Crest.–An heraldic tiger’s 24 head, erased, sa. ducally gorged, maned, and armed, or.
Before September 30, 1823 Peter and Elizabeth Andrews Spracklin came from Pitney, Co. Somerset, England on the schooner Cane under the command of Halliday to the New York port. On those passenger records,, Peter Spracklin was listed as 48 years of age and his occupation listed as a tanner. Included with Peter were his wife Elizabeth, 51 years old, and the number of children given–6. They lived for a few years in Washington Co., Pa. before moving in 1835 to Dudley Township, Hardin Co., Ohio. They are both buried in Lee Cemetery.
101 Peter Spracklin born 20 Dec. 1774 prob. Co. Somerset, England married 11 August 1794 Elizabeth Andrews born 6 June 1771 prob Co, Somerset died 13 Nov. 1860 Hardin Co., Ohio died 26 Oct. 1845 Hardin Co., Ohio
Children of Peter Spracklin and Elizabeth Andrews:
201 John Andrew Spracklin born 9 Jan. 1795 England married M. Lydia Goss died 6 Feb 1962, Knox County, Ohio in Civil War (Purchased land in Shelby Co., Ill. 28 Oct. 1858 from Moses and Angeline Spurgeon. Served 116 Ill. Infantry Co. H. Enlisted 14 Aug. 1862. Mustered in 6 Sept, 1862. Died 6 Feb 1862, Knox Co., Ohio from wounds.)
- 202 Sarah Spracklin born 30 Oct. 1796 England married ________ Bannard Family moved to Trenton, New Jersey.
- 203 Mary Spracklin born 27 Oct. 1798 England married _______ Mathews
- 204 Elizabeth Spracklin born 3 July 1801 England married Samuel Lawrence ch: John, Sarah Jane, Matilda, Anna, Elizabeth and William.
- 205 Parmelia Spracklin born 12 Dec. 1803 England, married 1. Richard Tamany married 2. Jacob Elias Myers
- 206 Anna Spracklin born 14 June 1805 England married 22 April 1830 Silvanus Cook died 2 October 1887 Hardin Co., Ohio
- 311 Nelson W. Cook born 1830 married Suzanne Dildine born 1837 died 1 Nov. 1914 died 4 Feb. 1881
- 411 Willis Cook married Emma Cosner
- 511 Gayle Cook married Stanley Tilton; 1 child, Clay
- 512 Aulton Cook married Lucille Coulter
ch: Margorie, Gregory, Victoria
- 513 Hortense Cook married Elsie Davis; 1 child, Delos
- 514 Nelson Cook married Clay;
ch: Nancy, Robert
- 515 Loren Cook married Sarah Riley;
ch: Richard, Donald
- 516 Lena Cook married Harold Allen
- 517 Harold Cook married Ruby Woellver
- 412 Harry Cook married Hannah Crab;
ch: Icey, Lowell, Lester, Zora
- 413 Elmer Cook married Laura,
- 414 Claude Cook married Anna Miller;
ch: Lawrence, Claude, Jr., Margaret Ann
- 415 Maude Cook married Ansley
- 416 Eliada Cook married William Morris;
ch: Chester, Mildred
- 417 Kate Cook married Charles Wertz; 1 child, Esther
- 418 Viola Cook married William Kay; ch: Claude, Ernest
- 419 Shera A. Cook died young
- 207 Peter Spracklin born 17 Jan. 1808 England
- 208 Alfred Spracklin minister Church United Brethren; ordained in Richland Co., Ohio, born 3 Nov, 1810 England married circa 1835 Abigail Cooper July, 1839 born 6 June 1811 Pa. died 7 Oct. 1879 Hardin Co., Ohio died 22 Jan. 1878 Hardin Co., Ohio
- 321 Pamela Spracklin married _______ Dildine
- 322 Coline Spracklin
- 323 Malinda Jane Spracklin married H.L. Simmons
- 324 Emma Spracklin married Bobby Walker
- 325 Alfred Lucius Spracklin married Sarah Ann McClaren born 19 Aug. 1851 Hardin Co., Ohio died 7 Nov. 1895 Hardin Co., Ohio
- 431 May Spracklin married Max Codding
- 432 Pamelia Spracklin married Willis Thew
- 531 Leroy Thew married Margaret Baker
- 631 Dixie Thew married Carroll D. Hord;
ch: Cara Deanne, Teri Lee
- 433 Della Spracklin married Albert Herman born 22 Feb. 1877
- 541 Fay Herman never married
- 542 Foster Herman married Josephine Dunson
- 641 Carolyn Herman married Gordon Beach
- 741 Jeffery Beach married Vicki Musser
ch: Sheri Renee, Brian Christopher
- 742 Jennifer Beach married John Jennings;
ch: Janelle, Renee, Jamison Allen
- 743 Jan Wesley Beach.
- 642 Elgene Herman
- 434 William Carrol Spracklin born 1875 died 1880
- 435 Otta Ione Spracklin married William Krimblebine born Nov. 1881
- 436 Ethel Spracklin married John Holycross born Aug. 1886;
1 ch: Harold, now deceased
- 437 Lucius Ray Spracklin born 27 Jan. 1892 married 20 Aug. 1911 Lena Scranton died 6 Dee, 1975
- 551 Doris I. Spracklin married Earl M. James
- 651 Ronald E. James married Shirley Willislager;
ch: Rhonda James married Ronald E. Ratliff, Jr.
- 652 Larry Ray James married Mary Garrett
- 653 William Lee James married Susan Reynolds;
ch: Tonja Lee, Rodney William
- 654 Keith Nelson James married 1. Sharon Alexander;
ch: Todd Keith, Timothy L. married 2. Sharon Berridge ch: Troy Allen
- 552 James Ray Spracklin married Helen Elizabeth Stine born 26 March 1928
- 661 Brenda Spracklin
- 662 James Spracklin
- 553 Richard Eugene Spracklin married Donna Jo Reed born 24 Feb. 1935
- 671 Denise Jo Spracklin
- 672 David Richard Spracklin
- 673 Daniel Reed Spracklin
- 554 Ida Spracklin married George Fields no children
- 326 George Peter Spracklin born 24 Dec. 1837 married Rachel Munson died 22 Jan. 1898 Hardin Co., Ohio
- 441 Mary Pamela Spracklin married Will Parker;
ch: Leota Parker married Carl Dehaven; Edna Parker married Vernon Moore
- 442 Charles Spracklin born 1865 died 1872
- 443 Harley Hensel Spracklin married 1. Bertha Riley no children married 2. Mary Price
- 444 Abigail Elretta Spracklin born 1869 married Ed Clement;
ch: Ada, Clyde, Leona
- 445 Wilmot Munson Spracklin born 1859 married Nancy Sowers died 21 June 1926
- 561 Florence Ada Spracklin married
- 562 Carl William Spracklin married
- 563 Cloe Gladys Spracklin married Forest Kennedy;
ch: Margaret Ellen, Dorothy, Gladys
- 564 Floyd McKinley Spracklin married
- 565 Mary Jane Spracklin married Vernon S. Moore;
ch: Fred Samuel, Ralph Wilmot
- 566 Blanche Melissa Spracklin married Walter Huffman
- 567 Margarite Spracklin married Irvin T. Craig;
ch: Marvin Alan died Infancy
- 568 Raymond Harley Spracklin married Edith E. Ferguson
- 661 Ralph Wilmot Spracklin married Martha E. Richards ch: David Bruce Spracklin married Janet Kemper; Dale Lee Spracklin married Shirley Hamon; Carol Sue Spracklin married Mark Allen
- 662 Raymond Richard Spracklin married Patty Lynn Shuttleworth;
ch: Nancy Lynn, Mark Alan, Jeffery Richard, Beth Ann
- 663 Donald Lamar Spracklin married Cynthia Ann Swaby Ropp;
ch: Robert Maurice, Rachel Lynn, Alan Lamar
- 569 Robert Charles Spracklin born 1910 married Gretta Jonesdied 28 Sept, 1971
- 446 Melinda Amarilla Spracklin born 1861 married Charles Powelson;
ch: Roy, Harley, George, Dorothy, Clay, Lalla
- 447 Ferna Spracklin married George Heilman; ch: Viola, Cecil, Bertha
- 448 Minnie Spracklin died young
- 209 George Spracklin born 7 Feb. 1814 Co. Somerset, England married 9 April 1840 Arloa Turner Minor Knox County, Ohio born 16 Aug 1822, Ohio died 11 July 1892 Shelby Co., Ill. died 3 June 1902 Shelby Co., Ill.
Spracklin Line: Backward Time Progression
- Lena May Stoneburner born 13 February 1925 Shelby Co., Ill. married 19 Sept. 1942 James Harvey Cox died 23 Oct. 1982, Shelby Co., IA
- Goldie Ardath Spracklin born 8 April 1904 Shelby Co., Ill. married 26 Feb. 1924 Lawrence Albert Stoneburner died 2 April 1983 Christian Co., Ill
- George Elias Spracklin born 14 July 1881 Shelby Co., Ill. married 26 March 1903 Grace Belle Austin died 6 February 1964 Christian Co., Ill.
- Marvin M. Spracklin born 6 Oct. 1847 Hardin Co., Ohio married 13 Oct. 1870 Mary Elizabeth Deal died 30 Sept. 1932 Shelby Co., I11.
- George Spracklin born 7 Feb. 1814 prob. Co. Somerset, England married circa 1840 Arloa Turner Minor died 3 June 1902 Shelby Co., Ill.
- Peter Spracklin born 20 Dec. 1774 Co. Somerset, England, married 11 Aug 1794 Elizabeth Andrews died 26 Oct. 1845 Hardin Co., Ohio
Sources for the Genealogy of Peter Spracklin:
- Passengers Who Arrived in U.S. Sept. 21-Dec. 23. p.288
- Donna Spracklin Records
- 1840, 50 Hardin Co., Ohio Census
- Shelby Co., Ill. Mortgage and Land Records
- State of Ill. Civil War Records
- 1860, 61, 62 Cold Spring Township, Shelby Co., Ill. Tax Records
- County Somerset England Marriage Records, Vol. III
- Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames by Bardsley p.10 Canterbury Catholic Church Records
- Pedigrees of the Families in the County of Kent:
- William Berry. London, 1830.