Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
ANDREW HUNTER: D.D. (1743-1809), professor of Divinity at Edinburgh, born in Edinburgh in 1743, was the eldest son of Andrew Hunter of Park, writer to the signet, of the Abbotshill branch of the Hunters of Hunterston, Ayrshire. His mother was Grizel, daughter of General Maxwell of Cardoness in the stewartry of Kirkcudbright. After an education at a private school in Edinburgh, he passed to the University, where he completed the final course of study in arts and divinity. He subsequently spent a year at the University of Utrecht studying Theology. He was licensed as a preacher by the presbytery at Edinburgh in 1767, but unwilling to be separated from his father, he declined for some years to accept a pastoral charge. During this period he was an acting member of several literary and theological societies, and his studies were directed by Robert Walker (q.v.) of the High Church, Edinburgh, the colleague of Dr. Blair, and one of the best preachers of the time. In 1770 he was ordained, and inducted as minister of the New Church, Dumfries, and soon afterwards purchased the estate of Barjarg in that county. In 1786 he was related to the Tron Church, was moderator of the general assembly in 1792, declined soon afterwards the offer of a royal chaplain and died April 21, 1809.