- Access Genealogy - http://www.accessgenealogy.com -
1850 Gazetteer of Thurlestone England
Posted By Dennis On In Genealogy | No Comments
THURLESTONE, 4½ miles W.S.W. of Kingsbridge, is a small scattered village, on rising ground, near the beach of Bigbury Bay. Its parish contains 437 souls, and 1768 acres of fertile land, including the hamlets of Buckland, Avenmouth, and Bantham, the latter of which is a small fishing village, with fine sands, and a salmon pool and harbour for barges. The Earl of Devon is lord of the manor, but part of the parish belongs to several smaller freeholders. The river Aven bounds the parish on the north, and the Bay on the west. On the coast is a remarkable arched rock, through which boats have sailed. It has for centuries braved the foaming surge: hence the proverb, “Brave every shock, Like Thurlestone Rock.” It is of the red conglomerate formation. Clannacombe, a large Elizabethan mansion, which has been modernised, is the seat of H. R. Square, Esq. The Church is an ancient structure, with a tower and five bells. The pulpit is finely carved, and partly composed of elegant pannels taken from the screen. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £25. 10s., and in 1831 at £383, is in the patronage of Sir. J. B. Y. Buller, Bart., and incumbency of the Rev. P. A. Ilbert, M.A., who has 36A. of glebe, and a large and handsome residence, erected by himself. The parish school, established in 1844, is supported by the rector.
Article printed from Access Genealogy: http://www.accessgenealogy.com
URL to article: http://www.accessgenealogy.com/genealogy/1850-gazetteer-of-thurlestone-england.htm
Copyright © 2013 Access Genealogy (http://www.accessgenealogy.com/). All rights reserved.