POOL, (SOUTH) a small village at the head of a navigable creek, five miles S.S.E. of Kingsbridge, has in its parish 555 souls, and 1929A. 3R. 18P. of land including, North Pool hamlet and part of Frogmore village. (See Sherford.) W. M. Praed, Esq., is lord of the manor of South Pool, and the Earl of Devon owns that of North Pool; but Thos. Cornish, Esq., Mr. Edw. Garland, and a few smaller owners, have estates here, chiefly freehold. The parish was anciently held by the de Pola, Punchardon, and Scobel families. The Church (St. Cyriac,) is a fine specimen of the perpendicular style, with a lofty tower and six bells. The interior has transepts, and has a neat and clean appearance. The screen is elaborately carved; and in the chancel is a handsome altar tomb or Easter sepulchre, with a representation of the Resurrection in front of it. Here are also monuments for members of the Dare, Lake, and Bastard families. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £22. 16s. 5½d., and in 1831 at £486, is in the patronage of W. M. Praed and A. Kelly, Esqrs., the former having two turns and the latter one. The Rev. Henry Taylor, M.A., is the incumbent, and has a large and handsome residence, and 52A. 2R. 23P. of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1840, for £387 per annum. The poor have 25s. and the rector 15s. yearly, left by Andrew Horsman, in 1687; and the former have an annuity of 21s., left by Leonard Dare.